We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Guinea Bissau

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Guinea Bissau

Hi All,

Has anyone travelled recently to Guinea Bissau? I am looking for information on safety in the country. I would like to take a 2-3 weeks trip to GB with my 6 yrs old son.

Any advice would much appreciated.

Sylwia

Mentioned in this post
Bissau
Bissau
Guinea-Bissau
14 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

I was there just 2 months ago leading a group of 15 on a multi country tour.

Outside of Bissau is fine. EVERYBODY is so pleased to see you, they just aren't used to seeing travellers, it is such a welcoming country.

Bissau itself can feel a little edgey at night time, but perfectly fine in the day. Despite the military government, there is no hassle. Everybody is very friendly and just getting along with their lives, they aren't overly fussed about you.

I would say to be very careful with photography. With the military in charge you do not want to run the risk of being accused of being a journalist! We took lots of shots, but were very careful about who was around when doing so.

Mentioned in this post
Bissau
Bissau
Guinea-Bissau
2. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 08:16

abudhabi
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

hi my self amar

is it safe country to stay for 2 years

i got offer there so looking for safe condition give give some details any body

Hyderabad, India
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

i got a job offer in West Africa, Guinea-Bissau, can someone advise if its safe for a indian family (wife and husband) to stay there. .

how are the people over there ? please advise.

Mentioned in this post
Bissau
Bissau
Guinea-Bissau
Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

I just got a job offer in the UN to work in Guinea Bissau, Is it safe to live there? I am a single woman in my late 20's, white with blue eyes - a little concerned. Any information is helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Bissau
Bissau
Guinea-Bissau
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

Completely safe. Except pickpockets. The only problem is political. Been there for one month. During carnaval.

Start learning some portuguese and download the peace corps manual for creol. As a woman you might face the usual approaches by african men. Buy yourself a wedding ring. In fact we might meet. I rented a house there and plan to buy some land.

Edited: 27 May 2017, 05:13
Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,219 posts
1,315 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

hi david, sounds interesting...multi country trip? may i know more about it?

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,219 posts
1,315 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

it's not touristic at all, right?

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,219 posts
1,315 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

Hi Sylwia,

have you done this trip at the end?

Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
413 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Guinea Bissau

It's very poor and very disorganised. But not dangerous in the sense of war/riots/civil unrest.

Reply to: Safety in Guinea Bissau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guinea-Bissau
Recent Conversations
More Guinea-Bissau Topics