We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

Hello,

SUMMARY: Single traveler looking for reasonably-priced guided group tour(s) to join in to see at least Etosha, Fish River Canyon, Damaraland, and Sossusvlei, then Victoria Falls (in any order). Also looking to volunteer for a day if possible.

Full info:

I'm a single traveler from the US (PA). I will say up-front that I can't afford a customized guided tour for just myself, so I'm hoping to find a small group tour (or tourS) that I can join. I am not confident enough to drive or guide myself, sadly. Hoping to go June or July of this year, so time is running short!

I'm searching for a pretty thorough guided tour that takes me through the major sites of Namibia. I love the desert and I love wildlife so I want to see it all! I'm OK with basic/clean sleeping arrangements, camping would be fine to keep costs down. Since I'll be relatively close to Victoria Falls, I'd also like to see that while I'm in the region.

Trying to find something that includes Etosha, Fish River Canyon, Damaraland, and Sossusvlei at a minimum. Seems to be a great mix of wildlife and desert. Would love to hike around the desert and the canyon as well, even if just for a few hours (I don't want to just hop out of the car, take a picture, and get back in the car, in other words). If I've neglected listing any other must-sees, please let me know! This will likely be the only time in my life that I get to Namibia, so I want to make sure I do it right.

I'm OK with the total trip lasting up to 3 weeks. So far, I think Discover Namibia and Wild About Africa tour companies are pretty well-reviewed and have group tours that cover the Namibian parts. I'm open to other suggestions, as well as any ideas for getting a guided tour from Windhoek to Victoria Falls.

Finally - I'm also interested in potentially volunteering for a day while in Namibia. Maybe when I first land or am about to leave Windhoek? Does anyone have experience or suggestions here? Thinking of something like computer help for schools, or Habitat for Humanity, or something along those lines.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

I would suggest you check out Wild Dog Safaris.

They operate the scheduled group budget departures you have seen on our site.

I can highly recommend them (hence we act as a reseller for their group tours, as we can't cater directly for single travellers, it works out too pricey for a private safari).

They are also well reviewed on here if you run a search.

Other ones you could have a look at are Drifters, Acacia Africa, Nomad etc that run budget group tours.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

Thank you for the very fast response! Wild Dog Safaris definitely looks good. I am tempted to do the 14 day Namibian Experience tour (which hits everywhere I'd like to see and more), then the 3 Day Bushman & Batswana Tribes tour (if possible, as I think it is minimum 2 people so I'd have to hope someone else was doing it).

Still would need to figure out Victoria Falls. Their 24 day trip including the Falls sounds wonderful, but likely keeps me out of work a few days too long.

Will continue to research, but you've given me a fantastic lead, and I appreciate it very much. Thanks!

If I can wrangle the time for it (such as if I can't do the tribes tour) - any ideas how to locate very short-term volunteering opportunities in/around Windhoek?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

You could try contacting Naankuse in Windhoek. I don't know if they do anything that short for volunteering but they are very good and might be able to better point you in the right direction. Most volunteering is for at least a couple of weeks but I know they do a lot of good work with bushmen so it is at least worth an e mail. Maybe you can incorporate it in your trip somehow.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 16:13
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,539 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

Won't you be more of a hindrance by volunteering for one day?

Say someone from Africa arrived at your place of work and said they want to help for one day......? Wouldn't you smile politely and say, "Thanks, but we can manage".

Even if you assistance was wanted, it would take a valuable member of staff to show you round and make sure you didn't foul up.

Take soccer balls and make yourself popular.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

Thank you for the excellent recommendation!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

Peterscot,

You may be right. I thought it would be a nice thing to do but... if they have to spend a few hours hand-holding me before I can get started, then the day is almost a complete waste for both of us unless I'm spending more time volunteering.

What do you mean about the soccer balls? Just take some with me and give them out to the local children on arrival?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

Hi,

I apologize if I never sent you a thank you for your recommendation, Discover_Namibia!

I did end up going with Wild Dog Safaris on the 24-Day camping trip through Namibia, ending at Victoria Falls. Everything went very smoothly and I got to see a LOT (to the point where some animals started to bore us!). They took good care of me and I had no issues.

So a very belated public THANK YOU for your recommendation!

8. Re: Guided tour throughout Namibia, along with Victoria Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 00:15