We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

bury,uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

When we did the Garden Route (5 weeks self drive) we did not have any joy with planning for Namibia. Agents we tried either, pushed us on to their 'set' tours, or , would not give full info( such basics as car hire costs !!).

We loved the G>R so much we want to revisit after seeing Namibia.

Thinking of starting at Victoria Falls and finishing somewhere past the Garden Route.

We prefer spending on time and content , rather than on upmarket accomm. Time only limited by overall cost.

Wife and I are active pensioners. I am the driver. Travelled very widely in 3rd World so do not expect Western standards everywhere. Like wildlife, friendly locals, walking (not too strenuous), the unusual less touristy sites, fishing (for me), hands-on wildlife, maybe a bit of volunteering.

Recent posts have given us hope of finding an operator who has the knowledge and listens. Gemma D. ?

Best time ? October maybe ?

Would consider some internal flights to cut down on very long drives if cost allows.

This is our Golden Wedding Year . Trip Advisor members have given us great help on other trips, so thanks in advance.

1. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 April 2012, 16:05
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,865 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

Hi Peter,

Congrats to come on the Golden year. What a fine way to spend it.

Well you have done right bit first in speaking to Gemma D.

No harm in keeing her honest by taking up the offer of talks with suricate even though I think his post may contravene rules.

You will love Namibia. I have done four trips and planning the fifth.

Off the top of my head I think it may work better if you split the trip into two segments.

Falls and down through Namibia. Or vice versa.

and then fly to Capetown or Jbrg for another car to do the Garden route. I have no experience of the latter so leave that to you.

So my idea is fly to Katima Mulilo pick up the car and head for the Falls via Kasane and over the border tp Zimbabwe for a couple of nights and then back to the Caprivi. You could do worse than take a couple of days in Chobe NP.

Then down along Caprivi taking in some wildlife, and into Etosha.

To Damaraland, trekking Rhino and Elephant on foot, on to Swakopmund and down to Sossusvlei for teh sandy bits. Rtn to Windhoek and drop off your car. Fly to RSA.

This is bare bones only and as I said it could be done as easily the other way around.

Arrive WDH and drop car in Katima Mulilo or even fly direct to RSA from Victoria Falls.

Nothing is impossible, Come back for the 'detail' when ready.

us
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

We did a, mostly, self-drive from Windhoek to Victoria Falls last year. On the advice of our agent, we dropped our car in Katima and used her transfer service to get to Kasane and then on into Zambia.

This was some good advice. The Ngoma border into Bots was quick and we breezed across the Zambezi in a small speedboat while others waited around for a ferry.

So unless one really values the freedom of self-driving, I would recommend flying into the Falls (easier and cheaper than Katima) and transfer to Kasane. You can do an early game drive in Kasane, transfer to Katima, pick up your car and be sipping a cold one by the Kwando by mid-afternoon

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,865 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

No Ferry for Zimbabwe side. Kasane-Kzungula, bear right, Zim border, and two more hours down the very good road.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

NamXpert advertising is against TA rules, what is in TA rules is sharing your experiences how ever long it takes.

The Destination Expert for Namibia is a good example for that.

bury,uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

hi, thanks for prompt replies. good info which we are digesting. Will come back for more detail.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

Emma N_68, my apologies, I wasn't aware of the rule.

Peter, mfuwe's ideas are good, except I would suggest that you fly into Vic Falls and make use of the transfers from Vic Falls to Kasane and from there to Katima Mulilo.

Reason I'm saying this is that you will save a lot of time as you don't have to back track to Katima again and if you pick up the vehicle in Katima you don't have to pay any cross border fees and the one way fee from Katima is much less than saying you pick the vehicle up in Vic Falls. You won't really need a vehicle much in Vic Falls and Kasane anyway. It's also better to visit the Chobe with a guided tour from the lodge you are staying at as the new rules state that private vehicles or car hire vehicles are only allowed into the park after 10h00. This way they are trying to keep the traffic to a minimum at all times.

Another great thing to do in the Kasane area are the Chobe Houseboats and it's a great way to see the area in a very relaxing way.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

You mentioned fishing, unusual less tourist areas, then I highly recommend Witsand, SA - Great fishing up the Breede River, there was even a River Monsters episode filmed here, it's whale season in October & one of the best breeding areas in SA & very friendly locals plus the Malgas pont is not to be missed.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

Kunene river on the board or Angola and Namibia is also good for fishing

10. Re: Victoria Falls to Garden Route-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:40