We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rwanda visa

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Rwanda visa

On the 21st August 2017 I entered Rwanda at Kigali airport. Prior to leaving Australia I had applied for an East Africa visa to allow me entry to Kenya and Rwanda. The visa was for multiple entries to Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda and was valid till 29th October 2017. On arrival in Kigali I was advised that the visa had expired because I had been to Tanzania the week before and I would have to pay another $30USD despite the fact that this cost was already been included in the cost of the East Africa visa. I had been able to re-enter Kenya after I had been toTanzania and re-entered Kenya again after I had been to Rwanda, both times on my East Africa visa and without having to pay another fee. To say I was surprised wold be an understatement.

Have other people had the same problem and if so, what is the correct interpretation of the entry rights under the East Africa visa?

2 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rwanda visa

Hello Gesmi

The East African Visa only allows you to travel within three countries, Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. Once you cross out of this three countries, your visa is considered expired. I believe Kenya have their own laws with Tanzania and that how you managed to use the visa again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rwanda visa

Thank you very much for your response. I suppose my concern then becomes that it was never made clear in any of the documentation relating to this visa. THis is particularly an issue for\people on organised group tours as I was until I went to Rwanda.

But again, thanks for your response.

Reply to: Rwanda visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted