We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

2 posts
Save Topic
Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

Hi all,

I'm traveling from the United States to Kigali, but I will also be doing a day in Uganda for Gorilla Trekking and then 6 days in Tanzania. And Ive come to find out it is very hard to get the yellow fever vaccination in the States, CDC says we're out of it until 2018. I was told it is offered at the Kigali airport for $40, and I was wondering if that is still true, and if anyone has done it.

Thanks!

Kigali City Tour
155 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Distillery Tours
1 Review
from US$25.00*
3-Day Rwanda Gorilla Safari
2 Reviews
from US$2,990.00*
14 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

Hey Gabrielle

I think you might need a letter from your authority stating the reason why you cant get the vaccination and produce it during your entry to Rwanda. Secondly, you can write to the Rwanda Migration for more advice on that.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

I think you can get away without it

USA
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

Pretty sure it takes 10 days to become effective.

So getting it right there won't do you much good (from medical standpoint).

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

I am sure on the airport. There is a Port Health Officer. I got mine from Mombasa Port Health Officer. Just ask at the airport. It was dirt cheap. Yellow fever can only be done at authorized vaccination centres. I just returned from 3 country tour. The ruandans didn't ask for yellow fever certificate. But. The Ugandans did.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

The travel vaccine clinic in my city doesn't want to give me a yellow fever vaccination for Rwanda. They say it is not needed because I will be entering Rwanda from Tanzania, which is not on the yellow fever list. Is this going to be an issue for me? I am worried about being denied entry at Kigali airport.

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

Again. Any Airport or Seaport has a so called Port Health Officer. I am sure Kigali has one. If they deny you entry. Then get your shot there and then. Wouldn't worry too much.I got mine in Mombasa Airport. Bring a blank WHO yellow vaccination certificate. Yellow fever is only done at authorized vaccination centres. Usually government run. Not every tom dick or harry is authorized. And yellow fever shot is much cheaper and easier to come by in Africa.

Edited: 02 November 2017, 03:27
nh
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

we traveled from US via Amsterdam to Kigali in mid September, and then to South Africa, Botswana, Vic Falls, and Namibia. no one asked to see our yellow card with our vaccination info.

nh
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

we traveled from US via Amsterdam to Kigali in mid September, and then to South Africa, Botswana, Vic Falls, and Namibia. no one asked to see our yellow card with our vaccination info.

nh
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?

Traveled November from Nairobi to Kingali via Rwandair and had to present yellow fever record before I was able to board in Nairobi and again at passport control entering Kingali...yes, you need to have the vaccination. I received mine a few years ago in the Amsterdam airport, about $50, took about 15 minutes in the airport health office during a brief layover...

Reply to: Yellow fever vaccination at Kigali Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted