We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

Winchester
1 post
Save Topic
Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

Hi there - plannnng a trip next july and August - but not sure what is the best way to get to Kigali from Nairobi and then back...budget is low - so does anyone know the price of flights etc...I heard of a 24hour busride...anyone know anything about that?

Final thing - anyone know of anywhere good to work out there for free for a month or so?

Cheers guys

James

Kigali City Tour
154 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Distillery Tours
1 Review
from US$25.00*
3-Day Rwanda Gorilla Safari
2 Reviews
from US$2,990.00*
chicago
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

my flight was $470, quite expensive considering its less than one hour

the only buses advertised were from uganda

as for working, check out newdawnassociates.com

i dont know too much about them, but they seem to have some good projects

caligornia
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

Hi James,

My flight was around $500 so they arent cheap. However, i searched the interned for a bus or train that went to kigali from nairobi and i found some review about how it was quite scary and it was the longest however many hours of their life. Then i guess shortly after their journey there was a fatal accident on said bus trip. This was a while ago so things may be different, but it might be best just to pay the 500 and get yourself there in an hour. Also, sometimes it can be hard to book a flight online so you may need a travel agent to do it, i did. They shipped the tickets to my house but you can also have them waiting at the airport for you. Here is a link to an article about the bus that crashed:

www.rwandagateway.org/article.php3…

caligornia
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

the one i posted was for regional bus company. here is an article about jaguar:

www.rwandagateway.org/article.php3…

i think those are the only two that do this trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

Hello James

I travel to East Africa often and can say that you are in for a wonderful treat. I only travel by land when traveling through Africa. How else can you see what the country looks like outside of the "big cities"?

The ride from Nairobi to Rwanda is long and sometimes rough, but it hold lots of sites. Wear comfortable clothing (hot days and cool nights) and you will be fine. The two bus companies that travel between Nairobi and Rwanda are Regional Coach Services Tel: +250 08866792 and Jaguar Bus Company, Tel: +250 08614838. Be sure not to take the business bus as this will be the longest rout do to customs. I made that mistake. Pack snacks for the ride.

Keep in mind these are not Greyhound or Trailway.

Enjoy

Mel

Leeds
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

hiya tommo!

i'm planning on the same trip! well, working out in nairobi for a month then wanting to head to kigali for a week or so to check out the memorial centre and what not.

i'm thinking of flying, the flights just over an hour with kenya airways and about 250 quid which is quite steep but at least its safer than the roads and hassle free.

Nairobi
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

Hello Tom,

There are zillions of bus services between Nairobi and Uganda , its about 12-14 hours drive, then you can stay one day in Uganda in 1-2 star cheap hotel then book a ticket from Kampala to Uganda , its easy , and cheap, and the road is very safe.

The Cost.

Nairobi to Kampala Bus service (apx 30$-50$)

Kampala to Kigali (apx 50$)

ENJOY Your Trip .!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

Does anyone know the best way to get a travel visa for Uganda if you are just traveling through from Rwanda to Nairobi?

Thanks!

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

Buy at the border. It will cost you $50.

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
345 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

Tommo and Captain

Checkout Rwandair, we're flying Kigali to Nairobi with then, it was considerable cheaper than Kenya airways

HTH

Robyn

10. Re: Nairobi to Kigali....best way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 00:32