We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best gorilla family/permit for Bwindi

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Best gorilla family/permit for Bwindi

Hi! I am looking to get permits to visit the gorillas in Bwindi but see the permit you buy governs the family you visit. Can anyone confirm which family is the best to see in 2018.

Have been told Bitukura family which is located in Ruhija region but not sure if this is due to the tour operator i have been talking to are based there.

Can anyone also confirm if the discounted off season permits still exist?

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Best gorilla family/permit for Bwindi

Also I have read about a longer habitutation experience where you can spend 4 hours with the gorillas. Has anyone done this? How can I find out information?

We are self driving so do not need a tour.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,775 posts
445 reviews
2. Re: Best gorilla family/permit for Bwindi

I was not aware that you can choose the actually family you trek. I understood yo get the 'location' when booking but only know the family on the day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Best gorilla family/permit for Bwindi

You're right - i was thinking about the area rather than the family, apologies. I heard that the hike is harder at Rushaga Area but this would be the over all most amazing experience. What do you think?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,775 posts
445 reviews
4. Re: Best gorilla family/permit for Bwindi

Rushaga is OK. The downside is that you are in a valley and to climb back up at the end of a tiring day can be gruelling on tired legs.

Personally I like Ruhija with O or B groups. Still some exercise but not so bad. It depends on which family and where they are that day.

For nice accommodation at reasonable price I like Broadbill Forest Camp. The owners are local folks and know the area well.

I am not sure there are any discounted permits in 2018 but ask.

Uganda
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Best gorilla family/permit for Bwindi

1. Can anyone also confirm if the discounted off season permits still exist?

No they nolonger exist, the promotion ended last year.

2. All sectors are interesting to trek

Buhoma is the easiest to trek

Ruhija follows

Rushaga next and somehow close to Nkuringo

Nkuringo is kind of steep it needs enough energy

I would recommend Rushaga or Ruhija sector

If you book earlier, it is easy to choose the trekking sector of your choice but when you book late, making a choice might be hard because Gorilla permits get booked 3-6 months prior to your travel

Reply to: Best gorilla family/permit for Bwindi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted