We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jinja Bed Bug Warning

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Jinja Bed Bug Warning

Last year I stayed in Jinja. I stayed in two guesthouses: both had bed bugs.

(I know what is a bite of a bed bug and what is bite of mosquito, sandfly whatever. Twice where I have lived back home technicians have detected bed bugs.)

When I did some research I found out that local media has written about the issue. Jinja is epidemic bed bug area, the problem is described to be worse than malaria.

So when in Jinja take all the precautions to protect your luggage from bed bugs. Sleep naked, don't keep anything in bed or near it. Avoid all the wooden furniture, because bed bugs live in them. Safest place to store your luggage is the bathroom.

I was not lucky, I got bed bugs in my luggage from where I spread them all over Africa. I am sorry. But the fact is that in Africa you have no ways to get rid of bed bugs. (Or if you are traveling in warm areas with clear skies you can try black pin bag. Spread your luggage in bin bags, close them and place in direct sunlight for hours. Note: bin bags have to sunlight as many hours as possible. If you put the bags on metal roof, even better.)

2 replies to this topic
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jinja Bed Bug Warning

This freaks me out. I stayed at a nice hotel here in the US and we actually spotted two bed bugs, which is unusual, because they hide.

Can you state the name of the guesthouse you were at? We will be staying in Jinja in June.

Now I know you can get bed bugs ANYWHERE. You should take precautions every time you stay in a hotel or guesthouse.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jinja Bed Bug Warning

Bed bugs are anywhere. On this journey I had them on Phi Phi, Thailand and Tangalle, Sri Lanka which both apparently are epidemic areas.

In Jinja the first bed bug hotel is Rydges Accommodation. Or at least the budget annex has the problem. The budget rooms are so tiny that you are in big risk getting the bed bugs into your luggage. I don't know how it is in the main building.

The second place is more difficult to name. As far as I know the owner has done a lot to get rid of bed bugs (replaced wooden beds with metallic beds) and when I was there the guest house was fully booked and other clients didn't complain about the bed bugs. But the room where I stayed in was the only non-renovated room in the main building. Maybe they have renovated it now?

Then again this guest house is a long running favorite of back packers...

What is sad that in both guest houses the staff was aware of bed bugs but still the accommodated tourists. (Even in that second one, I believe, as I was asked by staff if I am itching when I was scratching myself.) The result: Now some ten hotels from Uganda to South Africa has bed bugs: I brought them in from Jinja. Not to mention I was about to get a nervous breakdown when trying everything to get rid of them and save the rooms I was staying in (completely useless: I got rid of them only in Finland when my luggage was frozen fro a week.)

Mentioned in this post
Tangalle
Tangalle
Southern Province, Sri Lanka
Finland
Finland
Europe
Reply to: Jinja Bed Bug Warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted