We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phones in Kampala

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
mobile phones in Kampala

Hi, my daughter is coming to Kampala for 3 months to work as a volunteer. I'm wondering what is the best way to keep in touch with her. Should she buy a mobile phone there or bring her own, are sim cards available, and will data cost alot to use whilst there?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
4 replies to this topic
Fort Portal, Uganda
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phones in Kampala

SIM cards not available now. But will be worked on soon, better she come with her own though it is expensive.

Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phones in Kampala

Hi there.

I wonder where she will be based. She will have to buy a local sim card - she will need her passport to register for it. So that means that her phone should be unlocked; so that she can use sims from all networks. Yes, we have data; speeds are ok. You can do viber, facetime, whatsapp (most popular here). She should hit an mtn or airtel shop and get a monthly bundle for data and local calls and international calls; they will be happy to help. Depending on her usage $50 will be enough to get a feel for her first month. Yes, she can buy phones here; but it makes sense if she gets it over there. She should just make sure it is unlocked.

I hope she enjoys her time here.

Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phones in Kampala

Sims are being sold to non-residents as long as they have their passports.

Fort Portal, Uganda
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile phones in Kampala

Please note: currently no sim cards issued, until further notice. Ministry of information and security ordered.

Reply to: mobile phones in Kampala
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted