We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some last minute questions !

tripper in LA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Some last minute questions !

so the day nears for our much anticipated trip...in about a week or so we will be off !

A few last minute questions though...someone told me the other day that shorts are not advisable to wear primarily due to the weather. Would that be so ? The forecast had indicated a high of 70 deg and a low of 50.

Also, what is the general outlook towards alcohol ? :) - are there pubs or restaurants where alcohol will be served ?

Thanks in advance !

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some last minute questions !

Shorts are not allowed in the Monastries and Temples, and weather wise you can wear light long pants. If you walk in fields or forests with sticky or pricky plants, better to have your legs covered. And as Bhutanese are shy and modest, and their dress like that, I'd advise you to respect them with wearing long pants and at least cover shoulders.

As for alcohol: that is a problem in Bhutan, as most householdes make their own, and drink a lot. You might get invited and taste the local brand. In restaurants you can buy wine and beer, pubs are not many, but if you're interested ask your guide, he'll take you to a local place.

Have a wonderful trip to Bhutan, and please tell us you stories afterwards.

Sainte-Adele, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some last minute questions !

Good afternoon!

we are also leaving in a couple of days for Bhutan... so excited and cannot wait to discover that country!

I am still trying to pack my suitcase and wondering if I should bring a warmer jacket or if a fleece plus a softshell coat is enough?

Also... what is to try food wise?

tks for your help!!!

warm regards from Canada!

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some last minute questions !

At the moment the temperature is between 17 and 1 degree Celsius, with possible showers and thunderstorms, the usual weather in Bhutan. So take layers and raingear. If you have enough layers and a fleece, then a thin raincoat over that all should be good. Take an umbrella as well, and if you feel cold easy, then gloves and a scarf too. Once I took a ski-jacket, and wore it only once, at night in Bumthang when we went to watch the dances there. So layers is much better, and warm too. And less bulky, you can do with long easy to wear clothes. No need to takes dresses for the evening.

On the other side, don't forget to take a hat and sunscreen, if it comes out, the sun can be strong.

Food is usually buffet, with potato's, cooked vegetables eggs, and rice. Some meat is given, pork or chicken. You can ask for the local chillie's with cheese- ema datsi, and taste a bit. Then decide if you like it as the Bhutanese, as a vegetable.

. Eat only cooked or fried food, or if soaked and cleaned with boiled or desinfected water. And eat fruit only what can be peeled.

Have a great trip

4. Re: Some last minute questions !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:41