We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A/C or a Fan room?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
A/C or a Fan room?

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to book a 4 week trip to Thailand in February and will be traveling to Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Phangan. I was thinking of going with a group called First Abroad but I am a little nervous because they mentioned the accommodations are "cool fanned rooms" My question is, is air conditioning necessary or will a fan do the job?

Thanks so much..

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,465 posts
169 reviews
1. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

That's entirely up to you isn't it really, whether you can put up with the heat or need AC in order to be comfortable and have a good sleep

Personally, I always have an AC room wherever I go

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

If you aren't used to heat and humidity then it can be hard to sleep in non-A/C rooms.

Fans help the room not be quite so stuffy but do nothing about the humidity.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,464 posts
99 reviews
3. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

February is in the cool season. Night temperatures will be below 30 centigrades, maybe even as low as 23.

In the cool season we often sleep with just a fan. Now it is hotter and we usually sleep with the A/C set to 27 degrees. It all depends on what you are used to. How is the thermostat set in your home in winter?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
74 reviews
4. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

February is the cool season. It will depend on your own taste a bit and your tolerance for warm sleeping. Personally I hate sleeping in airconditioning. A fan is usually fine for that time of year.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
177 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

You got cash for AC? Real question. Fan rooms are fine, but if i have the cash i always get a. AC room with a fridge.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,465 posts
169 reviews
6. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

You can get AC rooms in most places I've been to, from as little as 500bt per night, I tend to average around 1000bt per night for a nice room in nice hotel with AC, fridge & free WIFI

Not really breaking the bank at all

As for setting the AC at 27c Goodsoil Family :), I don't think it ever gets that hot where I live, my AC when I'm on holiday is set as low as it can go, & its not often I have to turn the setting up because I'm cold :) lol

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

Thank you for the advice!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

Thanks! My friend in England is going with a tour group called Gap360 and I was going to tag along but in the descriptions it said a "mix of air conditioned and fan rooms" and that scared me since it's 3 weeks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

The group I was thinking about going with pre-books the rooms that is the problem. I may just have to solo it like I originally planned

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: A/C or a Fan room?

Thank you! Unfortunately I love the ac in the summer and do have trouble sleeping if I feel sticky..