We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When visiting Thailand for the first time with kids

9 posts
Save Topic
When visiting Thailand for the first time with kids

When visiting Thailand with kids, what areas are the best to visit? We would like to see the jungle, beaches, temples, and markets. We're going for 10 nights.

Mentioned in this post
15 replies to this topic
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: When visiting Thailand for the first time with kids

mtbikelover - I wouldn't worry. Everyone has different things they like to do so if you have found stuff to keep you and your kids occupied that interest you, I'm sure you will be fine. You could seriously stay 2 weeks and not see everything you want.

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: When visiting Thailand for the first time with kids

I have always found lots to do with kids in Bangkok...you have Dreamworld, Safari World, Siam Park, the aquarium at Siam, Kidszania at Siam. Out near Chutachuk there is a discovery museum, you could also go to the art in paradise (3d art places)

Lots to do just depends on what they like..my kids enjoyed all those. We have been going for 11 years and each year we try to find something new to do for kids..last year was a pet cafe near the Hard Rock in Siam area...

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Safari World
Safari World
2,872 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
The Siam
The Siam
754 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: When visiting Thailand for the first time with kids

We have been to Bangkok and Phuket before, but never with kids, We taking our kids in June and this is what we doing for 7 nights in Bangkok:

Ramayana WaterPark in Pattaya, Dream World theme park, Dinner Cruise, Siam Ocean World, Madame Tussaud, 1 shopping day, Chatuchak Market, maybe Bangkok Safari and Marine World, night markets, trying to fit a cultural tour in but this is my kids requests so far. We are 2 families with 5 kids between 2 - 11yrs. This was the 7, 8, 9 and 12yr olds dream list. Then we head over to Phuket, Kata for 5 nights

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Dream World
Dream World
750 Reviews
Thanyaburi, Thailand
The Siam
The Siam
754 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Chatuchak Weekend Market
Chatuchak Weekend Market
14,632 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: When visiting Thailand for the first time with kids

as above - There's absolutely loads of "kids stuff" in Bkk (and Pattaya) - theme parks, water parks shopping toys, karting etc etc....even ice skating!......none of it very Thai apart from the Thai love of spoiling kids. Animal attractions are absolutely appalling. Boat rips on the Chaopraya River or through the canals can be fun. - Just Google “kids Bangkok”

There was a post about this somewhere recently

I reckon 2 stops is easily enough in a 10 day trip....you might want to put BKK at the beginning and end.......it's nice to have a comfortable hotel for a night or two when you arrive and you can gather yourselves together for the next leg of the itinerary.

I would suggest then a rural-ish place in the country and a beach resort would be 2 good stops.

Centres for each

I could depend on how you wan to travel.

Chiang Mai is a long way North and best/quickest to fly. There is a train service - first class cabin might amuse the kids for at last part of the way.

Chiang Mai is full of Thai (northern) culture - the river Ping boat trips. The surrounding countryside is beautiful.

Also Kanchanaburi Province has a lot to offer.

The Bridge over the River Kwai is very touristy. The countryside around has huge lakes/dams and national parks - lots of resorts on the river Kwai even good camping, Sangkhlaburi up on the Burmese border is good for an overnight stay.

I think Erawan falls are now the least attractive waterfalls in the region due to over crowding.

Sai Yok National park has some lovely waterfalls. There are even some ethical elephant parks out that way - as well as some to avoid.

Kanchanaburi is much nearer BKK and accessible by road or rail.

Beaches.....one has to say that the islands are the favored destination for most.

The nearest to BKK is Koh Samet - relatively small with plenty of beach resorts - no cars on the island.

Koh Chang and the other islands in the archipelago are about 5 hours from BKK by riad, there is an airport on the mainland with shuttle service.

Samui will have loads f stuff for the kids - you can fly from BKK. Lamai is the oldest beach town, Chaweng beach is just a little city by the sea now.

Phuket - fly from BKK - is the most developed island and in many ways the best organised....largely urbanised too.

there are of course loads of islands to choose from.....Koh Lanta in Krabi province is a favourite of mine.

In general, the smaller the island, the longer it will take you to get there due to ferry times etc....you need to consider travel times if you only have 10 days.

Weather and Song Khran. -

March to June is considered the "hot" season in most parts of the county and sees the start of some spectacular thunderstorms.

I don't know your exact dates but.......The "ides of April" is the time for Song Khran - the Thai new year - this is one of the most important holidays in the Thai calendar. My guess is that from about 12th April to the 20th, many Thai people will be taking some sort of a break, so you will see increased numbers of holidaymakers all over Thailand in that period and booking rooms in advance can be advisable.Song Khran is the water throwing festival and the kids might enjoy taking part in that.

every town around the country has it's own main Song Khran day.

finally back to BKK for one or two nights before flying out?

Edited: 15 January 2018, 09:01
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Chaweng Beach
Chaweng Beach
3,036 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: When visiting Thailand for the first time with kids

Much appreciated your review about things you did with your daughters - Bangkok bike tour, Tuk Tuk night tour and evening food tour. I am going to be there with my teenage daughters in August and we are looking for exactly these kind of attractions :)

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Reply to: When visiting Thailand for the first time with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted