We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok in 1 day question

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok in 1 day question

Hi - will be in Bangkok for one day in February with kids. We're looking at a tour that can be customized to include canal long boat ride, temples/palace and the floating market and railway market outside of Bangkok. Obviously could easily be more than a day....so my question is...if we were to pick only ONE of the "must see" structures (temples and Palace), to tour, which would the group's recommendation? While I'd like to see more, I think the kids can only tolerate touring one thing...the rest of the day needs to be tuk tuks, boat rides and markets :-0 TIA!

7 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok in 1 day question

I would recommend Grand Palace it’s the tourist attraction.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok in 1 day question

Sawasdee,

The main attractions are the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, and Wat Arun.

The ferry is a good way to see the attractions.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok in 1 day question

Kids may not appreciate the long ride to railway market.

Grand Palace and how ever many other Wats (Wat Pho/Wat Arun), they can take.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok in 1 day question

I was wondering about that. I really wanted to see the floating markets but it's an hour ride and my husband isn't too keen on that....but are the floating markets worth it?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok in 1 day question

Rice Barge tour to the klongs on Thonburi side incl long tail boat, rice barge, free softs and fruits, alcohol on extra charge, takes place about at 14-18 hrs from River City.

About temples, Grand Palace might be enough but include also Wat Po because ithe big Buddha is quite

amazing for kids too. Wat Arun can be seen from the river anyhow and the steps to climb are difficult and too high for kids.

You can arrive with any kind of vechile to GP but leaving from there, suggest a walk to Wat Po or a (orange flagged) river boat to anywhere.

About tuk tuks, there are some organized tuk tuk tours that are the safer than normal tuk tuk from the street. They will all try to cheat on all farangs unless you really know what you are doing and know where you are going. The worst tuk tuks are around all big sights (Grand Palace beeing the worst).

Read the good notes of Bangkok in the right side column (not available by phone)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok in 1 day question

Worth is in the eye of the beholder.

Take a look at the reviews (with lots of photos) for the nearby floating markets (Khlong Lat Mayom & Taling Chan) and decide for yourself and your situation.

We all have different priorities, desires & expectations.

Khlong Lat Mayom Weekend Floating Maket

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Taling Chan Weekend Floating Market

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok in 1 day question

Indeed, Grand Palace and Wat Pho are worth visiting. Also enjoy plenty of dining options. Perhaps include Chatuchak too.

Reply to: Bangkok in 1 day question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted