We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

Hi,

When we visited Phuket we saw how cost effective it was to book tours from the travel agents at the markets. I manged to save quite a bit by asking them to write down their best price (often around 50% off the brochure price) and then booked with the best deal.

Does a similar approach work in Bangkok? We want to do the Bridge over River Kwai tour with the bamboo rafting and elephant ride. The best price I've seen online is 2000 Baht per person. Just wondering if I should book this now online, or wait til we get to the markets and see what's on offer?

Thanks all!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
35 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

hello, I am also going to Bangkok in July, and actually, I was between booking online and waiting to get there;

can you tell me please where are those little tour-shops? For example, I'd like to do the floating market + crocodile farm + rose garden daily tour and I got around 1450 baht for a joint tour; in online travel agents such as absolute bangkok. For info; I will be very close to Rachathewi.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

Just want to make it clear:

When you say online booking costs more, are you comparing private tour to 'general tour'?

Xi'an
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

To get a good price for sightseeing in Bangkok, go to Khao san Rd, there are so many little tour companies where they offer all types of tours around Bangkok.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

I've been looking at Expedia - are the tours pretty much (or exactly) the same as the ones on there? But cheaper?

15. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 18:05
16. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 18:05
Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
118 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

Just got back from Thailand (Phuket+Bagkok) and here are the findings.

The prices we got from a local agent (in Phuket) counter (near our hotel in Patong) were about 40% less than we were checking on websites. Then we checked with more agents and did some negotiation and got even better price and managed to get out youngest kid free (5years) in tours. There are dozens of agents in every street and near every hotel dying to offer yoy their services. Our tour to PhiPhi , Fantasea, and city tour was of no problem at all. Specially if you book Fantasea through their own website you pay for transportation separately, while if you book through agent, transportation is included in ticket price.

No about Bangkok for Bridge over RiverKiwai we took no tour as a matter of fact. We just bought tickets of a tourist train that operates only on Saturday and Sunday between Bangkok main railway station and the Riverkiwai area. It stops at Kiwai bridge for sometime enabling you to take photoes and look around. It then takes to the last station and you have time to go to a waterfall. The only drawback is that it starts very early (0730) so you need to get up very early. We just managed. It costs you only 220 BHTs Per pesron. Can find details on the railway website of Thailand.

The other plave we intended to visit was crocodile farm which we also managed by ourselves.

Hope this helps you.

MAZ

Asahikawa, Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

Are there Bangkok tours which last a whole day and take you to all the famous temples, the palace, and then to Ayutthaya at these small tour companies? And it also includes lunch and/or dinner? Because I found one from a reputed booking site for about US $100/person with those contents, but was hoping to get a cheaper deal.

Secondly, are you able to just book these tours the day before? Thanks.

Teari

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
118 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

As I said there r a huge number of tour operators , agent outlets who arrange city tours of full day/half day. u can customize them as well according to your needs. Lunch is usually include if it is full day tour. I still believe u can get better price from ;local places rather than on net.

MAz

20. Re: Book tours before we arrive or after we arrive in Bangkok?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 20:19