We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night train Bangkok to Chumphon

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
night train Bangkok to Chumphon

looking for advice about the night train from Bangkok to Chumphon, could anybody give me an idea of how much it would be please and which is the best train to catch. From some of the research it looks as if one of the trains arrives about 3am if so is there accommodation available at that time? thanks

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

Check this link for times and prices. Scroll down to part 1 and look under Hua Hin and Surat Thani:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

There are a number of guest houses in Chumphon and it may be a good idea to call one of them in advance and let them know what time you are arriving.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

Hi

This website givesyou all the information you will need.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

If you're travelling on to Koh Tao then you can book tickets for the bus from Chumphon station to the pier and the ferry ride through this company.

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/index.htm

We think train number 85 is best. Leave Bangkok at 19.30 arrive in Chumphon at 4.30 (trains almost always run late in Thailand so will be closer if not after 5am) bus transfer to the pier for around 6am, ferry departs at 7. Quite tiring but not rushed.

A few tips, take your own snacks on the train as the food can be a little hit and miss, take plenty of fluids for waiting at the pier there's nothing open at that time and keep your mozzie spray handy for when you're waiting.

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

thanks for the quick answers, will bear in mind all you have suggested

we are planning to get a connection to Ranong to then go out to Ko Chang or Ko Phayam.

is the bus station near to the bus station in Chumphon?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

Hi

Then scratch what I said!! I've not done the journey but I've been told from Chumphon the minivans are not far from the station and take approx 2.5 hours to get to Ranong but I'm not certain what time they start.

Again, not certain, and only what I've read but have you looked at transport to Ranong from Surat Thani? The night train get's in at a much more respectable 7.30am which would mean a much more restful night. The bus journey seems to be about 3-3.5 hours but for the time waiting around in Chumphon, or getting a guest house for 3 hours, it might be worth it?

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

thanks I'll look at that.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,740 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

Scratch the train and take a 24-seat "VIP" first class night bus from Southern Bus Terminal direct, non-stop, to Ranong. There are buses leaving at around 19:00 and around 20:00. Take as late a bus as possible to avoid arriving too long before dawn. The trip takes about 8 hours. The fare is around 700 baht. And you don't have to get hung up in Chumphon at a train station in the middle of the night.

The entire trip is on straight, level super-highway. The bus pulls into a rest area late at night for a short break. The seats tilt back and it's reasonably comfortable. Bring eye shades, ear plugs and a light sweater due to aggressive air conditioning.

When you arrive in Ranong, there will be cars and motorcycle taxis meeting the bus to take you to the pier for Koh Phayam. It will be dark. You will feel as if you're stranded in the back of someone's farmyard until other travelers appear and the sun comes up revealing the pier.

Edited: 09 February 2012, 15:23
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,740 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

Oh, by the way, you don't need - in fact you can't - book the bus in advance. Just go to the Southern Bus Terminal, buy a ticket and get on the bus.

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

Thanks that great info.

9. Re: night train Bangkok to Chumphon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2013, 05:31