We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Hi,

I am travelling to Thailand for 10 days.

I have some queries which I am sure will be resolved here :

1. Is there any limit of carrying cash in INR at Delhi Customs/Bangkok ?

2. Is it better to shop for LED TV/clothing through credit card/cash?

Regards,

Aman

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

2. Cash usually gets better deals for tourists, and you can also reclaim 7% VAT (under certain circumstances) - there are some excellent credit card deals for local credit cards.

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Any other suggestion pls ??

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Here is a link I came across on taking out and bringing in Indian currency. I would do some research on your end to see it is still current.

indiabaggagerules.com/2008/01/foreign-exchan…

I did not see any restriction on using a debit card for obtaining cash in Thailand. If you do go with a debit card notify your bank that you will be in Thailand and for how long. Also notify your bank that you will be using a credit card too.

Do some research on particular TV's you may want to buy. Know what the item costs in your own country vs what you can get it for in Bangkok. Although I do see a lot of Indian tourists bringing TV's back to India.

Ten days is a long time just for Bangkok.

When you need a hotel suggestion also say how much you want to spend per night. There are quite a few Indian tourists that choose the Pratunam area for their hotels. But that area in my opinion is a little dead after 9 PM. Local transportation is pretty cheap in Bangkok so you can stay in other areas of Bangkok where there is more to do when you are not shopping.

Up to you.

Level Contributor
744 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Aman

You may also want to consider the duty implications of taking back elecctronic items to India.

DrJ

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
137 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Here are my comments:

a) You are NOT allowed to bring back more than Rs.10,000 back into India. So, if you carry INR, try to convert and use before returning.

b) I strongly recommend that you carry a Travel Card (issued by ICICI or Axis Bank) instead of using your regular Credit Card. This is because, the issuing Bank in India will recommend that you replace your credit card on return due to the risk of skimming.

c) You can always convert any unused foreign currency back to INR after you clear immigration in India at the SBI counter.

d) I recommend that you stay around Sukhumvit Soi 11. This is very close to Nana BTS station. This area has the maximum no of Indian Restaurants.

(as suggested above, if you share your hotel requirements, I can suggest)

e) Indians usually buy LED/LCD TV from Indira Market. I don't know why. I understand Indian customs do not charge any duty on ONE TV per family.

enjoy your stay

raj rao

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

a) It means I can carry 10,000/20,000 Baht to India & there is no limit on it ?

b) On using Travel Card, will it incur some extra cost while withdrawing money from ATM ? Is there also a limit to withdraw money from Travel card a day as in debit cards in India ?

c) I suppose it is wise to get INR converter into Baht from Delhi itself before departure & I can get it converted back into INR after arrival. There will be no limit on carrying remaining Baht into India.

d) I am planning to stay near Siam or Ratchathewi BTS as shopping malls are close by. 3 star hotels will do as we will have 4 Nights to stay in Bangkok & most of the time, we will be out.

Thanks

Aman

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
137 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

a) Correct.

b) THB 150 is charged every time you withdraw. So, best to withdraw in large amounts.

c) Correct

d) Siam is a nice place to stay. Look for deals on Agoda.com. You can get rates cheaper than direct booking. But, always check with the Hotel website before booking.

And get Visa in Delhi as there could be long queues in BKK.

regards,

raj rao

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

That 150 B charge always irritated me! Plus my bank charges the equivalent of 90 B for foreign ATM usage...take out large amounts and just 'withdraw' from your hotel safe when needed. Let your bank know you are travelling and they will ask all the relevant questions about when, where etc. Have a back up card/account in case something happens to your primary bank card. Only time I used my credit card was when I checked into a hotel and they needed to see it. Always booked things online on a secure website...paid cash for everything. The savings of a new TV would not outweigh the cost/worry I would experience shipping it home...

Going to Thailand and India at the end of this month-can't wait!

Edited: 12 April 2012, 09:47
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
137 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Robster, well said. All great points. Welcome to India!

ICICI Bank in India provides an extra card free with the Travel Card. So, you can carry 2 cards for the price of one. Also there is no additional cost imposed by the Bank.

I am told there is a difference of 30% in some of the high end LED/LCD Models between Thailand and India. Every flight I have taken out of Thailand, I have seen at least 10 TVs being loaded.

take care,

raj rao

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Indian tourist travelling to Bangkok for 10 days

Hi,

What are the 3 star hotels that you recommend in Sukhumvit Soi 11 ?

I have found Swiss Park hotel (0.1 km from Nana BTS) & it seems nice.

Also, please explain regarding issuance of boarding pass while leaving Bangkok. I am travelling via Indigo.

Thanks..........Aman