We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Thailand, very excited for July!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Laval, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Thailand, very excited for July!

Bonjour everyone!

Thailand in July!! I want to see everything, but only 3 weeks. Is it safe to go by myself (28F) or should I bring a friend??

Bangkok - I want to see the wats, the temples in Ayutthaya, explore the markets. Is 3 days enough?

Chiang Mai - Is the overnight train good idea? If I take it, should I see Ayutthay or Sukothai on the way there?

Gulf - Is 1 week enough? I hope to see the full moon party, but not a priority. Where is the best place to stay that has tourist amenities but on the quiet side?

Thank you for your advice! Josie

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Thailand, very excited for July!

July = you may get some rain. Check the FAQ "The Weather

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s208/Thailand…

However, you will be ok for the Gulf coast during this period.

Is it safe to go by myself (28F) or should I bring a friend??

SAFE but use your common sense. This question has been addressed a number of times in various recent posts and you will be able to check and gain some useful tips.

Bangkok I want to see the wats, the temples in Ayutthaya, explore the markets= Ayutthaya is around 1.5 hrs from Bangkok. You will be able to see most of the temple in one day. Two days will be plenty. Consider going there by mini van and then negotiate a fee with a tuk tuk (this could be 200thb per hour.

Chiang Mai - Is the overnight train good idea? = some people love this and some don't. In my view, it may be slow but what a wonderful opportunity to take great photos. Also see this thread.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k5…

Gulf - Is 1 week enough? One week by the seaside is never enough...neither is one month!!

I hope to see the full moon party = I believe is on 03 July on the island of Pha Ngan. Of all the options, according to press reports this event is not as safe. Other posters may disagree with my assertion.

Happy travelling

Giorgio Federico

Laval, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Thailand, very excited for July!

Your advice is very sound, thank you Giorgio. I am having the struggle that other first-timers have, and that is picking the "perfect" place to go. JBR's are helping me see other people's itineraries certainly!

I appreciate the advice on the full moon party. As a single female, I don't want to go looking for trouble!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Thailand, very excited for July!

Is 3 days enough.............depends how in depth you want to go into the exploring of temples etc in Bangkok, I would suggest you can see most of the "major sites" in Bangkok in a couple of days and with another day at Ayutthaya.

As to train up to Chiang Mai, I have done both the daytime train and the night train of the 2 definately take the night one it means you sleep as you travel thus saving a precious day of your holiday! The train passes mostly through fairly uninteresting farmland so not really that interesting during the day.

Sukhothai is for me well worth the trip (but then I am a bit of an old temple fiend and have been both there and Phitsanoluk many times).If you should decide to go to Sukhothai you can fly direct only with Bangkok Air or you can fly or take the train into Phitsanoluk. Be warned taxis are not readily available at Sukhothai airport and it is a bit in the middle of nowhere so arrange a pick up in advance. Taxis are usually available at Phitsanoluk.

Depending on your budget/requirements you can get a car and driver from Sukhothai to Chiang Mai you can also fly or take a bus/car to Phitsanoluk and take the train.

As to is one week enough I am sure you will find that the time you have in any of the places you visit is not enough. For me I would always spend more time in Chiang Mai/Ciang Rai and or Sukhothai as in Thailand I am not really a beach type person and 2 or 3 days usually sees me looking for other things to see and do.. (I figure I can go to a beach anywhere)

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
475 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Thailand, very excited for July!

I'm taking my teenage daughter to Thailand about the same time, and our first five nights will be in BKK. There's a lot to see. Don't forget that you're going to suffer from jetlag for the first two days or so.

Force yourself out of bed in the morning. Do not succumb to the 4pm urge to crash. Reset your internal clock.

As for safety, you can get into very bad trouble by making poor decisions (drugs, being out alone at 3 am, drinking too much, etc.) and Thailand can be a very, very bad place to behave that way.

If you go to YouTube and search for "Big Trouble in Thailand" you can see episodes of a TV documentary series on Brit tourists getting into very ugly situations (by behaving like jackasses). The series is a hatchet job on Thailand. In fact, I think the producers may face charges if they return to the country. Yet the situations it describes are all possible for people with poor judgment and no respect for their hosts, or even if you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Full Moon party could turn out that way at any moment. Or you could be just fine.

I don't mean to scare you at all. The Thais are wonderful, charming people, warm and helpful. Most of your fellow tourists are decent, too. You'll have a great trip, single or with a friend, so long as you keep your head screwed on right.

5. Re: First trip to Thailand, very excited for July!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:16