We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Olinda victoria
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

My partner and I wish to get our marriage blessed by monks at one of the royal temples in Bangkok in May this year. Searching the Internet tourist places are charging from 25,000 thb to 80,000 thb!! Does anyone know how much the locals usually pay? My partner is a Buddhist and does not want to get ripped off with typical tourist prices!!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

Hi

Is that price included everything because for me is outrages!!!!

Is it has to be the royal temple can it be any temple that locals would go? If your partner is Buddhist he should know about the simplicity and the principle of Buddhism teaching. May I suggest just of to any temple with no cost. What you have to do is buy necessity things for monk the like of robes, towels, toiletry etc, food, flower tide with candle and incense with just small donations. just go to any temple in the morning with offering between 9-11 am. Once get there ask for the abbot or seniors monk that is your wedding blessing. However you might have the language barrier may be get some one that can speak Thai with you.

Btw I'm Thai and Buddhist.

Good luck

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

Yep, do as Sweetpea says.

When I got married that's all we did. The missus asked the monk for a good day. We offered the monk a bucket (as above, it can be bought at or next to every temple) and donation in an envelope.

The monk gave us a blessing and some small talk and it was done.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

We were blessed by 9 monks, at the monk's hospital, for a small donation and 9 offerings.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

I have had a couple of blessings performed at Wat Pratum Wanaram. If you want a senior monk you may have to arrange before hand as I am sure they don't just sit there all day waiting for people to come along.

One time we waited our turn and the junior monk did it and the other time the senior monk did a group of about 14 people altogether.

You can buy a couple of food baskets and some rice from the Temple shop and it is usually enough to hand that over. The baskets range from 500 Baht upwards.

The blessing area is out the back behind the big temple hall in a nice garden, so you could go there and easily miss it.

This temple is located on Sukhumvit Road between Chitlom and Siam BTS stations. It is an easy walk from the Centara Grand Central World hotel or from Pratunam.

http://goo.gl/maps/felUq

You should also consider that a Thai person earning 20,000 Baht per month could easily donate 500 Baht or 2.5% of their salary when visiting a temple.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

No need to arrange before hand as above poster stated. They don't of cause waiting for the people to turn up but at that time 9-11 am is the time when they all the monks comeback from their morning alming. From 9-11 am this time is for their daily practice, ceremony, have their meal of the the day before they go go off to their daily routine.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

The Wat markeewan talks about is not on Sukhumvit Rd but on Rama I, almost next to Siam Paragon Mall.

Beware, there are always guys hanging around trying to tell you that the wat is closed or the monks have a special ceremony. Ignore these guys.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

Sukhumvit - Ploenchit - Rama I, different sections of the same road.

Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

As much as I know, buddhism dont believe in blessing effects, unlike other god believing religions. It is just a simple process.

Olinda victoria
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys :) Think we'll just save our hard earned pennies and just visit a local temple with offerings for the monks as suggested...Thanks again :)

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to book a cheap monk blessing ceremony in Bangkok

Disagree with poster # 8 you're wrong Buddhist are the big believer in blessing, we will have almost everything blessed the new house, car, baby, birthday, new shops, new business you name it.