We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Bangkok

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do in Bangkok

What are the best ways to see Bangkok? Book private tours or travel around yourself with a tuktuk driver? I'm Interested in floating markets, some temples and the main river.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

A mix of sightseeing yourself and a day tour with a guide, don't bother with the tuk tuk drivers as you'll spend the day in shops where they get commission, public transport in Bangkok is excellent so use that, you need to do a bit more research to see what you want to visit and you can get all this info here on the right in the FAQ section, you can also get a list of reputable guides under "Finding a tour guide" I would get a guide for the first day then visit on your own the remaining days.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

migrationology.com/2011/…

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,522 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

post # 6 tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k…

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

Get a tour guide when you get there to avoid hassle to visit main sites as that's what I did. Some places are doable by yourself. Use the skytrain/taxis to get to places and avoid tuk tuks, they will hassle you at times.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

Depends where u are staying but most places such as the palace and temples are so easy to get there using public transport. A bit of research and its seriously easy.

The only tours I have done were a food tour of chinatown and an all day one to floating and other markets outside of Bangkok..neither of which I could have managed on my own. I always find part of the fun is planning and working out what I want to see and the best way to do it. Definately stay away from Tuk Tuks and taxis that wont use the metre.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

Hi - I was in Bangkok in August and found a great guide who I coincidently have just put a posting up on TA this morning about. it should be a few postings before yours if you want to read it. Called Tour Guide in Bangkok - a golden gem. I don't want to repease it but in short, Yelly is a fantastic guide and I definitely recommend her to show you Bangkok. I definitely think our trip around the temples and Grand Palace would not have been as good without her. Funny, friendly, Knowledgable, speaks English very well. I liked the convenience of a private guide and it made our trip so much easier and hastle free and much more interesting. Yelly's contact details are vybg.bkk@gmail.com and mobile is (+66) 850441676.

We did get a couple of Tuk Tuks one day. Crazy driving! Private taxi was great for short journeys and very reasonable but if you want to do the sights get a guide. They know the place much better than us tourists and it is great value for money. Also whatever you want to do Yelly will organise the tickets etc at the best price she can get for you so you don't have to worry about where you get tickets and if you are paying too much. We used Yelly as well just to help us do things like go to Banks/money exchanges and other wee jobs we needed to do.

So much easier and stressfree. Have a brilliant time in Bangkok. I loved it and only wish I had more time there. Very jealous!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

I have been to Bangkok 5 times and visited most of the major sites on my own. It's easy to get around BK via their transportation system or via taxi/walking.

I am heading back in November and look forward to being there again!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

Dear Emma,

May I ask how much you had to pay for Yelly the guide? And how long did you use her?

Thank you very much

9. Re: Things to do in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 00:17