We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Day shopping

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Day shopping

Hi

Are the shops open on New Year's Day in Bangkok. Wanting to do lots Of shopping but my only option is 31 dec or 1 jan

Thanks

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Day shopping

Hi

Only govt officials, post officials, banks closed. The shops, malls open 365 days a year. Infact that time of year usually very busy.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Day shopping

I have been shopping lots of times on 1st Jan, it's usually a bit quieter but everything seems open. I don't think the malls in Bangkok ever close for a holiday.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Day shopping

We think we want to different mall Gippy lol

We went to Siam paragon and we didn't need to walk we just floated along with 10of thousand of others.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Day shopping

I do tend to leave the house earlier than most, maybe that is why is seems quieter. Bangkok is a little bit quieter over new year though as a lot of people go home for a few days. This year it's a 5 day holiday so plenty of people will leave town.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
651 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Day shopping

The large shopping malls will be open as Sweetpea indicated, but some of the smaller shops in places like Baiyoke and Pratunam Markets will be closed as people go back to see their families up-country.

Platinum Malls I and II should both be substantially open during this period.

Superrich Ratchadamri usually closes for a couple of days at the end of the year.

To my cost I found out last weekend that only the first floor of the Baiyoke building is open on a Sunday, all the other floors were shut, so I couldn't do the shopping I wanted.

Luckily I spotted a stall selling Chino style trousers for 250 Baht in the Big C mall opposite Central World.

Picked up two pairs for $16 and paid 50 Baht to have turn-ups hemmed on one pair. (the label says they are called Dockers and were made in the Domincan Repubic). The day wasn't a total waste of time after all.

Hope you have fun shopping in Bangkok as there are still bargains to be found.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Day shopping

Yay glad to hear all shopping centres are open 365 days/year...looking forward to shopping at MBK on Christmas day!!! This is the first full day we have after we arrive on 24 December... it is our first time to Bangkok. Looking forward to it!!!

7. Re: New Year's Day shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 00:18