We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Protests in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Protests in Bangkok

Any news on the ground about the on-going protests? We are due in BKK on Friday and are concerned about NYTime's article about protest escalations!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Protests in Bangkok

@wongchinhong, for on the ground news check the English language Thai newspapers.

http://www.bangkokpost.com

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/index.php

http://www.mcot.net/news/enews

Today could be an interesting day depending on how the court ruling goes, maybe another judical coup is coming up.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Protests in Bangkok

If you pick through all the rhetoric in these papers, you can sometimes actually read what has "happened'. Most of the time, especially in the case of The Nation, they are trying to whip everything into a frenzy.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Protests in Bangkok

I've been in Thailand for the last two weeks, starting and ending our trip in BKK. I'm not well versed enough in Thai politics to tell you how people are feeling, but I can give observations of what I've seen in the protest zone. 2 weeks ago, when we arrived, our taxi driver took us past the protest. At that time it was very much like an outdoor concert - a musician was playing, people were mingling about dancing and having fun. A few days later another taxi driver took us by the protest again. This time the atmosphere was a bit different. Not much of a crowd was around (presumably people were at work since it was about 9am on a weekday), but there were some people in the area wearing pink/red bandanas around their necks. There were a couple people were speaking loudly into a microphone and video of their speeches were being broadcast onto giant screens around the monument. We saw police in the area and some barbed wire along the roadways to help fence in things. There was some anti-government graffiti in the area.

We left BKK that same day and just returned yesterday. Tonight another taxi driver took us past the monument. The protest has definitely grown - there were thousands of people there listening to the speeches. Cars and scooters were triple-parked in the middle of the street for about a mile leading up to the protest. The parked scooters almost entirely blocked the road near the monument. The police had shut down many surrounding streets to help contain the protest, so our driver couldn't go the way he wanted to. He had to circle around and take a different path. Once we got out of the protest zone, we noticed a huge police presence and what looked a large police staging area - presumably in case things escalate.

I think time will only tell with this protest, but from what I've seen it seems to be building in momentum. Depending on where you stay in BKK, it may not be accurate to say that you could avoid the zone entirely. It's on a main road. The hotel we stayed at is located very close to the Grand Palace, so taxi drivers kept having to take us past the protest to get us to our hotel.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Protests in Bangkok

The next couple of days could be very telling. Suthep is doing everything he can to bring it to a head.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Hi,

Just read the following article in the morning of 25 Nov (Monday) from the Spore's newspaper:

straitstimes.com/breaking-news/se-asia/story…

It's rather disconcerting. Hope the Thai government has the answers to quell the intransigence.

Take care to all holidaying still.

Edited: 24 November 2013, 18:53
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Today should be the telling day for this performance. They are supposed to "take it to the streets" and march through different sections of the city. This has the potential for nasty confrontations.

Marching routes: nationmultimedia.com/politics/Suthep-announc…

These are the propose routes. Anywhere between Democracy Monument, and these destinations, would be good areas to avoid today. If nothing else, the traffic should be a mess.

Edited: 24 November 2013, 19:54
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Hi OctSix,

Thanks for the info.

Let's hope Suthep keeps his promise to end the anti-govt protests within 3 days. But I'm not that sure that could be accomplished given his recent rhetorics.

Regards.

Edited: 24 November 2013, 20:05
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Suthep is not really promising to end the protests in 3 days, he was saying that is how long it will take to get rid of the Thaksin regime. This protest will run on. It's gone beyond Suthep's control I think. I know people out protesting last night that hate Suthep and the Democrats, but they hate Thaksin even more.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Fearless leader also promised to hang up his whistle and clappy hand if 1 million protestors didn't materialize.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Trusting Suthep?

The Suthep that testified that the army did not shoot at people and its the victims fault for getting in the way of the bullets.