We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai Flood Alert

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai Flood Alert

I recieved a post from Thi Visa editer today warning of possible flooding in and around Chiang Mai today as river was predicted to rise 3.8 meters..0.2 over its catchment limit!Can any local destination experts shed light on this please?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

Yes the warning was issued yesterday morning and was for midnight last night.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

Thanks Drag' for verifying that,as reports were that elephant camps were flooded also!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

I'm waiting on an update re conditions from Joy my regular driver, he has been on tour in Chiang Rai and arrived back in Chiang Mai tonight. Will post when I hear.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

That big elephant camp was flooded yesterday - don't remember the name.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

I have just heard back from Joy (my regular CM driver) and he tells me that the water levels are indeed higher but nothing too serious. And he has been through serious water levels in CM over the past years.

Cheers

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

The Ping went over the bank on Tuesday night....last night about 7Pm it was like a huge mud pit all along the river walk area...but the river was down again. Running high, but down. Rain in the North is causing the Ping to flood right now at times. My friend Pim at Citylife notified me yesterday that the mayor of CM has said that we will have intermitent flooding here in CM over the next several days, but nothing like back in 04...or was it 05??? Marie (nannyre)

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

hi TA reader,i have gust read these forums and i am staying at the Ratilanna riverside resort on the 20th of october,is there be any concern,should i cancel my accomodation and look to book some were else,need advice just a little worried.

Warrington, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

September is the wettest month and October rainfall is about half of September. By the 20th the rain will be a lot less frequent so I wouldn't be concerned. The Ping river overflows at 3.80 metres and now it has receded to 2 metres.

whitchurch...
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

Wild Fig,

I live a short distance from Chiang Mai.

By mid October any floods have receded leaving breath taking lush countryside and short sparodic warm showers.

Do not cancel, start planning.

Brought to you via by personal experience not the media.

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chiang Mai Flood Alert

Thankyou all for your reassurance that the water levels will reced by mid October,i am looking forward to this trip,and i know i will fall in love with Chiang mai and its people,a have read alot of the forums on CM so thankyou all,and i will let you know how it all went,cheers.