We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monks collecting alms in Chiang Mai

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
Monks collecting alms in Chiang Mai
Save

we are staying near tha pae gate and would like to see monks collecting alms in the am. Any good places to find this and what time?

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
27 reviews
36 helpful votes
1. Re: Monks collecting alms in Chiang Mai
Save

You can take a songtaw (red truck) to the base of Doi Suthep and there is a wonderful place there that many, many monks visit early in the a.m. to collect their alms, but, actually if you simply get up early and walk around most any of the soi in Chiang Mai you will find this event happening. Even in my front yard I have monks visit every morning! Enjoy! Marie (nannyre)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
234 reviews
194 helpful votes
2. Re: Monks collecting alms in Chiang Mai
Save

Hi,

The monks from most temples collect alms in the morning between 5:30am-6am. Depending on which temple, you may come across two or three monks together, or a larger group. But it's not like in Luang Prabang where you see dozens of monks all lined up.

I wrote up my experience in taking part of Tak Bart on my blog:

http://kgbtravels.blogspot.com/search/label/Laos%20Part%201b%20-%20Chiang%20Mai%20Old%20City%20Temples

Enjoy!

- K

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Monks collecting alms in Chiang Mai
Save

No need to go anywhere. Wake up early and walk to any market area. But you'll see them everywhere; as you have probably noticed Chiang Mai is full of temples, and all the monks are out in the early morning.

From Thapae gate I/d probably walk to the Chiang Mai Gate market, cutting through the small sois in the old town, which is a nice walk anyway.

It's mid winter so the sun rises a bit later. I think if you leave 6 am that's early enough.

You could buy some things and join the alms giving if you like. Fruit, soy milk packs, or anything you can think of really. I usually stick to Buddhist vegan food (Jay food), but you could include some sweets or candy for the kid novice monks at end of the line, making sure the head monk doesn't see it. ;)

Edited: 9 years ago
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
4. Re: Monks collecting alms in Chiang Mai
Save

"Collecting alms" is a western concept. What is happening is that people who donate food and other items to the monks are making merit (tumboon) for themselves and their families by doing so. This practice goes on everywhere in the country every morning, even in the smallest villages. In Chiangmai, you won't have to go far at about 5.30-6am to see it (and take part). Vegan food isn't necessary as very few monks are vegetarians - they share and eat what is donated. Anything surplus is given to the temple helpers and anyone in need..

5. Re: Monks collecting alms in Chiang Mai

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Chiang Mai
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.