We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
419 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear

I know its cheap to buy stuff in Vietnam. But honestly I don't want to buy any as we have plenty of clothes already. We are visting Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Ho Chi M and Mekong Delta. We are an active family of four. Teenage daughter wears short shorts, is this acceptable in cities, villages etc. What is appropriate to wear out to restaurants, or on tours. Son lives in denim shorts and singlets. Is this appropriate? What about visitng temples etc. Are there more appropriate attire?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
192 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear

When will you come to Vietnam? This time is winter in the North and Midder including Hanoi, Sapa, Hue and Hoi An. So if you come to Vietnam from now to March-April, you should bring warm clothes for yourself and children.

By the way, you should not wear shorts when visiting temples or pagoda.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear

Visiting in next few weeks. Starting in North and travelling South. By warm clothes are long sleeve merino, sweatshirt and jacket with long trousers sufficient?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
192 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear

I think that's ok. But prepare thick sweatshirts or jacket for your kids.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear

Apart from it being cold in the North, other than that short shorts are fine. We wear shorts, tee shirts and sandals our whole trip - out to dinner, around the hotel, there are no dress standards. It may be respectful to wear long pants in a temple but this is not usually practical and we have never had a problem. We find they are most concerned that you take your shoes and hat off. Singlets etc no problem.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
192 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear

Agree that there are no dress standards but you should show your respect to a solemn places which the locals respect.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear

Thanks all for your comments. I am taking old sweatshirt and trousers which I will just dump after Sapa and Hanoi so can travel light with other stuff.

7. Re: What to wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 03:16