We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zika Virus in Vietnam

Which Vietnam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Zika Virus in Vietnam

My mom said she read on the Vietnamese newspaper that there's 30 cases of Zika in Vietnam now with 2 cases in Da Nang.

How is the mosquito situation in big city like Hanoi, Da Nang and Saigon? Is there lots of mosquitos at night? We plan to have kids next year so I want to be aware of the situation in Vietnam...

21 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
524 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

Hi,

Actually I don't know about it much, you can read: vietnamnews.vn/society/294492/viet-nam-raise…

Hope can help you

2. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 April 2016, 04:05

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

A very complex disease is Zika. I would assume where ever there are people travelling and mosquitos around, a mosquito can bite a carrier and spread the disease.

As with all other mosquito carried disease best to prevent getting bitten.

If one is planning pregnancy and concerned perhaps hold off on travel.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
296 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

Dear T,

It is not funny to say that Vietnam is a tropical country, so the spring time is our humid season. Mosquitoes are every where in the humid time. But you can use Anti-mosquito or some essential oil of hot type to protect you from mosquitoes.

Good luck to you!

5. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 April 2016, 02:35

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

I'm interested in learning this too. I'm worried about mosquito bites, my wife and I are planing to go to vietnam at the end of may travelling from HCM city to Hoi An, Danang,Hanoi then Halong Bay.

I'm wondering if we should cancel our trip due to risk of zika

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

It should be ok bc only 2 known cases so far. Make sure to take all medications and vaccines before you go like Dukoral, Typhoid vaccine, Maleria etc. We got all this already for our trip in Sept. Bring mosquitoes repellant bug spray. Cities don't have much mosquitoes especially Saigon. Mosquitos are mostly in countryside and areas with bodies of water

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

My doctor said if you are pregnant then don't go anywhere in South America, Asia etc to be safe. If you are not pregnant then you are fine. Just don't try for baby until 2-3 months later after your trip to make sure you don't have any virus.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

Hello everybody,

any news updates in regards to Zika? We are departing from our country (Cyprus) for HCMC this Friday, and I am still a little sceptical whether to go or cancel, as we just found out that I am pregnant...

Scared on one hand, excited to go on the other.. I am confused...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zika Virus in Vietnam

I heard major city like HCMC and Hanoi don't have much mosquitoes or any especially if you are staying in hotels which are clean & well kept. Don't go to country side or bodies of water if you are pregnant to be safe. I would not go out late at night especially in areas that have bodies of water like river etc...which is where you will see more mosquitoes. Mosquito breeds in bodies of water and dirty water areas. I didn't see any mosquitoes when I was in HCMC back 15-20 years ago and my family said HCMC don't have any mosquitoes so just be careful to avoid problems. I would completely avoid South America for sure if I was pregnant and mamy people who are pregnant are cancelling their trips there. Asia is still low risk for Zika

Reply to: Zika Virus in Vietnam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted