We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long to spend in halong bay

Which Halong Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
how long to spend in halong bay

Hi guys i am planning to go to halong bay in early oct after spending a couple of days in hanoi i am thinking of going therefor 5 nights staying at the novotel and probably doing a day trip on the bay.I have been reading on a few posts that there is not much to do in halong bay so i was thinking if it would be better to stay a little longer in hanoi. Could someone give some advice on what would be the best option. regards nick.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,012 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long to spend in halong bay

I'd recommend at least an overnight on Ha Long Bay. The trip there takes about 4 hours, so with an 8 hours' return trip drive there's not much time left to actually see the bay on a day excursion.

Most people visit the Amazing Cave and go kayaking/swimming, and it is a lovely place to just take in the scenery. I don't think you would be bored on an overnight trip.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long to spend in halong bay

thanks for the reply but i must have worded my question wrong i am thinking of staying in halong bay it self for 5 days and doing a day trip one of those days is 5 days to long regards nick.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long to spend in halong bay

Hi Nick,

I am by no means an expert, but from the research I did before my Halong Bay cruise in May this year, I believe that there is not much reason to stay on land in Halong Bay itself. The highlight is getting out there on the water. So I would lean towards a 3D2N cruise on the bay, staying overnight on the boat. We did a cruise with Indochina Junk and it was great.

Assuming that you have 7-8 nights overall, you could even throw in a trip to Sapa as well to see the hill tribes and stepped rice fields. You would need at least 3 nights for this though (2 overnight trains and 1 night in Sapa itself). It may be too rushed for you. But you can always go Halong (2N) then back to Hanoi and straight to Sapa that night (3N). With 2n in Hanoi at the beginning, this could be something to consider.

Others may be able to suggest other things to do with your extra time if you decide to cut down your stay in Halong and don't think Sapa is your thing.

Cheers, Matt

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long to spend in halong bay

Thanks matt for your reply yeh i am just having a look at doing a 3day 2night cruise and i will have a look at your option regarding sapa regards nick.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how long to spend in halong bay

Hi Nick S,

Do the overnight there for 2 day/1 night or 3 days/2 night.and you have more time to discover other Attractions in Vietnam

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how long to spend in halong bay

After Ha Long Bay, Sapa, Other options for you are Ninh Binh (country side - Limestone mountain interleaving with green fields), Mai Chau or Moc Chau Plateau. The advantages of these destinations are: You can take the day trip, 2 days trip if you dont have time to Visit Sapa.

Enjoy your trip in Vietnam

Tuntravel

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how long to spend in halong bay

I have just come back from Halong. It is the fourth time I have been here and still were surprised by the stunning beauty of Halong bay. No better way to enjoy this beaty by taking one ovenight cruise trip (this time I go with Emotion cruise on June 13th- 14th).

If you like 5 day 4 night trip, you can book one charter cruise with Indochina Junk. (Princess or Prince Junk)

I also agree with Tun Travel of plusing an option (Ninh Binh or Sapa) into Halong Bay tour. It may be more interesting and you can discover more sightseeings.

8. Re: how long to spend in halong bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 00:17