We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Wear

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
What to Wear

I'm going to Hanoi in mid December. I've been looking up average temps and it looks hot. I've also been reading that you should dress conservately especially when visiting temples, museums, etc.

What do people recommend wearing? I don't want to sweat too much but I want to be mindful of Vietnamese culture.

washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
228 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Wear

I just got back from Hanoi and yes, it can get very hot there. We had a private guide (who was Vietnamese) and we specifically asked her if we needed to avoid shorts or sleeveless tops when visiting various pagodas, etc. She said dress was not an issue. So my husband wore shorts to most places. I think it's quite different from the Middle East in that sense. But I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this topic.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Wear

If you enter the phrase "what to wear" into the search box, you will soon find out. Nothing more can be said, I think.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Wear

Appropriate and good question!

At some expense, my kit consists of extremely lightweight 100%, polyester or nylon clothing. It is super light, easy to wash in the hotel room, and drys extremely fast, even in the humid weather. I'm thinking a woman should be able to find some decent slacks, trousers or pants, in a very lightweight material that looks half way decent. It will get you into temples, where appropriate dress in important. Super lightweight thermal underwear is also available, again very fast drying, for those colder days in the north. Lots of online stores in the U.S. sell this clothing.

Google things like, "activewear", "100% polyester", "nylon", "ripstop nylon" "fast drying", etc. This for instance:

thenorthface.com/catalog/…

One pair should do it. Buy a color that coordinates with your various tops. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Wear

The only place where we had to dress respectfully in Vietnam was at Ho Chi Minhs mausoleum.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Wear

Well, my wife tried to get into the Tap Ba ruins in Nha Trang with a sleeveless top. She was directed to a wardrobe where she had to don a long grey coat (supplied for free).

Nevertheless, just because no-one says anything doesn't make entering places of worship without observing the dress code is kind of rude, in my opinion.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to Wear

Yes, agree. 3/4 pants and something over your shoulders do it. Not hard to comply

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to Wear

T shirts and lightweight trousers were what we took and that was all we needed, my husband also bought a couple of pairs of those trousers that have a zip to turn them into shorts and they were very cheap so I would pack light as you can get anything you need there and it's much cheaper.

UK
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to Wear

Well, it's not particularly hot in Hanoi in December:

owee58.com/2010/05/03/weather-in-vietnam/

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to Wear

The only people that are covered up are Muslims and Vietnamese women and that is only because they want to be as white as possible.

As long as you don't wear shirts that have a plunging neckline, it shouldn't be a problem. Most western women I've seen wear shorts/capri pants and a t-shirt. Pretty much like Seattle.

I did see a guide in Hue tell a guy to put his shirt back on at one of the royal tombs.

Temples mainly have a rule of being quite and some have you take off your shoes in certain rooms.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to Wear

What about shoes? I've read that Hanoi streets can be dirty -- would people recommend tennis shoes?

Thanks for all the recommendations :)