We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips for foot massage

hong kong
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tips for foot massage

Just back from HCMC. Have gone to foot massage for 3 times. it cost 100000vn for 1 hr. I gave 30000vn for the tips. The guy who did the massage seems very unhappy. As their english is not so good, they seems told us that the tips should be the same as the massage cost. I just wonder.... Please just give me an idea so when i go to HCMC next time, i will know what to do. thanks.

glasgow
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: tips for foot massage

Hello,

I've come to live and work in Ho Chi Minh City for a year and got a manicure and pedicure today and a bit like you was unsure how much I should tip. The therapist gave me a card where I ticked a box according to how good her service was and how much I would tip. Excellent was 90000. Good was 50000. I think the actual pedicure and manicure was only about 50000.As the cost of massages seems so cheap compared to the UK for example maybe you do have to pay a bigger tip than you would in a restaurant? Having a card to rate the service certainly helped me to know how much they expect as a tip. Does anyone else know what the score is for tipping in spas etc?

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips for foot massage

Interesting topic and I'm curious what others say.

I often get haircuts, mani pedi, massages etc and i don't usually tip very much if at all. I usually visit the same places my Vietnamese friends use and so the prices are pretty low, as Im a regular and they always treat me well i have to assume they are ok with what i pay. I'm pretty sure my Vietnamese friends don't tip so maybe its just an expectation in places catering solely to tourists??

hong kong
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tips for foot massage

seems that 100% of the massage cost for the tip is necessary. Then it is not so cheap. In china, the massage cost around rmb40 which is around US$6 per hour. But no need to give US$6 for the tip, they still give you a big smile!!!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips for foot massage

Yes, a couple of years ago I had a massage and the expected tip was as much as the massage cost. However as shopunderwater says, I'm certain the Vietnamese don't tip anywhere as much, if at all. Certainly for haircuts, again it depends on where I get it cut. Cheap and cheerful, I'll add maybe 10000 on but if I'm paying city prices then as far as I'm concerned it's built in - the price is already way above cheap and cheerful's price list.

But you'll find it's only the foreigners that are expected to tip. It's the same all over, Where I get my bike washed the Vietnamese always pay 12000, I'm expected to tip (long story) and make it 20000. It's a bargain anyway and the guys there do a really good job.

It's like the card that sarahshoe632 mentions.... I bet that is only produced when a foreigner comes in. Now that I've been here some time, if I feel like tipping they get one, if not.......tough! I don't lose any sleep over it.

orange county, ca
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tips for foot massage

For any services I receive especially in a foreign, I usually tip 100% of the actual cost. I know I'm on vacation, but this is business and I really don't know how much of the tip money they actual get to keep. And I'm not going to worry about a couple of US dollars here and there. I'm sure they need it most than me.

CA
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tips for foot massage

I was born in Vietnam and visited home numerous times, and will also traveling there next month.

This is outrageous, tipping 100% of what you paid, this is ONLY expected from foreigners....it may not seem like a lot from the US,,,,I don't mind giving a good tip if I received a great service,,,but I hate when it's expected.

hcm
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: tips for foot massage

Basically, there are 02 type of foot massage shops: one who pays salary to the massage technician; the other do not. For the latter, the technicians get their pay from tips of the clients.

As a local people, we normally give tip from min VND30000 to VND50000 or sometime 100,000 at some more luxury massage centers. This depends on how good the service is and usually they are not happy when the tip is 30000. But I agree, he should not be unhappy when he has your tip of VND30000 which is not much but still OK.

I can show you some excellent foot massages next time.

hoquangduc@yahoo.com

Cheers!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tips for foot massage

I agree with the things being said here in this forum.. I am still here in HCMC staying for two weeks and I had a massage at 175 Le Than thon, and i was quite satisfied with the foot massage, although the body massage was not so, just pure pressure and strength, but in general, i was happy about the massage I got,

except for the fact that they give out a small paper for your tips, MINIMUM tip being 50,000 VND is a turn off especially that they request you to give at LEAST 100,000 VND for a 120,00 massage, and i just got 60 minutes of the advertised 70 minute massage. I gave 50,000 and she was not satisfied but there was no big argument, she was nice.

i should get in touch with hoquangduc to show me or at least tell me where to go here in HCM.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 10:53
Europe
Level Contributor
870 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tips for foot massage

My wife usually asks (local) friends how much they tip. We end up tipping perhaps 20,000 for a manicure/pedicure and 30-40,000 for a one hour massage.

I don't care how much they think they should be tipped. Just because it is not a lot of money for a foreigner, 20,000 is still OK for a local.

Often, an employee is supposed to do 6-9 customers in one day. Suppose they all tip one dollar. That's almost 200 dollars a month, which is twice the average monthly salary for unskilled labour.

oklahoma
Level Contributor
246 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tips for foot massage

i tipped 100% on massages for the wife and I. At $12 for both of us for the massage I had no problem giving $25 total when a massage in oklahoma is generally $60-$80 per person per hr.