We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

Hi all.

Leaving for our SEA trip soon and Cambodia is one of our first stops,

1) I have been reading alot of reviews, stories and even see photos where prices are nearly always quoted in US dollars. I hadn't really planned to take many US $'s, should i? surely i'd be better off with the cambodian currency?

2) I know its a bit hard to say due to obviouse variance but what are the rough costs in siem reap and PP for a: short tuk tuk ride within the city are, half day tuk tuk and full day tuk tuk?

Thankyou in advance

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

no Magoo, you wouldn't be better off with riel ... you need USD for your visa, and almost everything else is paid for and priced in USD. Just get your aussie ATM card activated for international use and use that... plenty around - check with your bank for partner banks to minimise fees.

quick trip in a tuk tuk $1, full day to the temples $15. PP is much the same

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

Ok wow glad i asked, apart from the visa i had no idea and i've been reading about this trip all year haha. So ATM's in the cities spit out USD's? also do you know if Laos is much the same? thanks very helpful

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

HI again ,

In Laos you'll get kip from the ATMs. In both cases, withdraw the max daily amount also helps minimise fees though, you will pay a forex fee regardless.

In Cambodia, you will get riel in your change if you buy something priced in amounts less than $1 eg 65c for a can of beer at the supermarket, or $1.25 for a plate of fried rice at a sidewalk night food stand - they vendor will convert the 'cents' bit of your change (at 4000 to the $) and you'll get this in riel. Get a wad of $1's & 5's before you go - not all places have change for larger notes - which need to be clean & crisp too btw.

have a great trip

helen

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

ok great thanks again Helen

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

you will need $US or a weel barrow to carry riel. I go 3 times a year and take $50 us for visa and transport from airport, Get small notes but not $5 notes they dont like them,dont know why.

There are money changers everywhere with boards up showing exchange rate for the day. I carry Australian cash and change to $us when the rate is up.

Be very careful when you get $us notes for use in Cambodia.They must be clean and no rips or damage at all or they will not accept them banks included.

Look at your change and reject any damaged notes. Riel does not matter they take any condition. If I need more from Aus i withdraw once a week at an atm to save fees but the bank exchange rate is low. Always agree on TukTuk price first and bargan with them.

Hope this helps have a great trip

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

thankyou

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
480 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

Patrick, I've never had an issue with $5 notes( in the 12 months I have been here), in fact when I cash large notes I request 1, 5, 10. On the odd occassion I have had $2 notes some won't take these.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 03:52
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

Yes Thrifty69 sorry a typo should proof read better it is $2 notes

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,581 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

I'm surprised at the mention of $2 not being popular. I've used them often and never had any problem.

But yes, as others have said, it's wise to have a heap of small denomination notes (in good condition) as sometimes it can be difficult to change a big note.

In Laos you can change AUD easily so there is no need to use your USD there. Save it for Cambodia where you'll need it rather than using the local currency which is useless anywhere else in the world, so make sure you spend it all before you leave.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 06:25
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple of questions about currency and tuk tuks

This topic actually reminds me of something I found rather strange in Phnom Penh. I always paid in US $, however I noted that in some places the exchange rate I was offered was $1 : 4200 Riel. Was just surprised, as this was more than the normal rate when you pay in $ (4000 Riel). Didn't complain at the time, as I got more money (needed some Riel as I only had large $ notes), but just wondering if this is normal, or just some good luck.