We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custom Made Shoes

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
Custom Made Shoes

Hi All,

I had shoes and sandles made at Dara Shoes back in 2006. Besides Dara, can anyone recommend other places for custom made shoes?

What is the turnaround time?

Thanks.

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Custom Made Shoes

C'mon guys. Doesnt anyone know another place to go for custom made shoes?

Thanks.

san clemente, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
243 reviews
2. Re: Custom Made Shoes

I went to "Beautiful Shoes" in Jan 2012. Very pleased. 3 pairs for $78 USD. Done in 5 days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Custom Made Shoes

SY PHAL - aka Beautiful Shoes - in Street 273 has a very good reputation but is so busy that you need not less than five clear working days for your order to be processed and, at times, this can be longer. So you need to be organized and get measured early in your travels.

Best regards. Ian

Back in Phnom Penh for a few days.

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Custom Made Shoes

Thanks, Westphilly. Thanks, Ian.

Ian: I'll have just 6 days from the date of measurement to the date of pick up to get these shoes made.

Do you think this is possible? What if I offered to pay a "rush fee" to have them ready? I would hate to order shoes, pay half of the fee and have to leave without them. Also, what is the deposit you must leave on the shoes? 50%? Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Custom Made Shoes

Hello zebralb,

Anything is possible in Cambodia.

All it takes is a quick visit and a quiet, moderate, rational discussion with the shop owners.

A few smiles also help.

Give it a go and you may well be pleasantly surprised.

The one thing that never works in Cambodia is a raised voice, angry tone or strong language.

The Khmers are the most tolerant and obliging of people and only too happy to help you if this can be done in a reasonable manner and without disadvantaging a prior customer.

Please go and see them.

All best regards. Ian

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,369 posts
99 reviews
6. Re: Custom Made Shoes

Would offering a moderately higher price help to bump you to a better position in the queue, or is the process of making the shoes such that the minimum time is always several days? Or would the shopkeepers be offended by effectively being offered a bribe to make them renege on commitments made to other customers for the benefit of another one?

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Custom Made Shoes

As far as I understand, closed in shoes take longer to make than sandals or strappy shoes as a mould must be made. As a result, closed in shoes do take a minimum number of days to make (but I'm not sure exactly how many that is). Sandals on the other hand can be made quite quickly depending on the workload of the cobbler.

In the past, when I've wanted shoes in a rush I was able to get sandals, but not closed in shoes. Even so the sandals took a few days.

For my recent orders with Beautiful Shoes (I've had 3 pairs made at different times since the beginning of the year) they have been asking for two weeks (rather than the 5 days quoted above), I would be interested to know whether anyone has been getting their shoes faster in recent times.

Edited: 07 May 2013, 12:04
new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: Custom Made Shoes

Thanks, Annie, Thanks again Ian.

Goodsoil: If you have nothing constructive to contribute, please don't.

san clemente, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
243 reviews
9. Re: Custom Made Shoes

Yes, I had to leave 50% deposit. Sounds like they are taking longer by the recent posts. Don't know if they have a rush fee.

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: Custom Made Shoes

Thanks, WestPhilly.

All I can do is ask if they can rush it and hope that they tell me the truth.