We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khmer lady outfit & traditional Khmer costume

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
305 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Khmer lady outfit & traditional Khmer costume

I will be travelling to Phnom Penh next week for 5 days..  Having browse thru the forum and will like to ask for more advise.  I will like to make some Khmer lady outfits - Av Pak, Sampot Chang Kben, Sampot Chorabap etc.  Do you know where can I make them and the estimated cost & time?  And does the tailor sell the fabric for it or do I have to buy the fabric and find a tailor myself?

Also I am interested in taking those traditional Khmer costume photo.  Anyone can advise where can I take these photoshoot, how much it cost and how long will it takes for the photos to be ready?  Also is there any chances of buying 1 set of these costumes?  I have a habit of collecting traditional costumes of the countries I travelled to.

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Historical Phnom Penh Small-Group...
140 Reviews
from US$58.00*
Sunset Cruise with Optional Buffet...
78 Reviews
from US$15.00*
Free Cancellation
Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour
81 Reviews
from US$15.00*
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khmer lady outfit & traditional Khmer costume

You're going to need a fair bit more time in order to get all of those garments made. They are carefully tailored and will fit you perfectly, and in order to get this you wil require several fittings. Depending on the fabric (anthing less than silk would be a waste of time) you are looking at $70~$200 upwards per outfit. ($50 for a silk tailored blouse, including tailorign, and at the very least $70 for the skirt) For the more ornate formal or wedding atttire, you can expect to spend far much more. Many photographers in the city, you can ask your hotel to contact a person. Any market has decent tailors and also sell an array of fabrics. There are also wedding-specialty stores that your hotel can arrange for you to visit.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khmer lady outfit & traditional Khmer costume

You can get the photo shoot done and any number of studios in Phnom Penh...they're everywhere, can't miss them. If you can't find one ask a tuk tuk driver or the staff at your guesthouse, they will point you in the right direction. Depending on how many photos you order, cost should be less than $50. Takes a couple of days for the photos to be ready for collection.

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
305 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khmer lady outfit & traditional Khmer costume

Thanks Maneki & Rarky for your advice. I will be scouting around for the photo studio & tailor after I check-into my hotel in order to have enough time for the items to be ready.

4. Re: Khmer lady outfit & traditional Khmer costume

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 02:17