We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just curious.....

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
431 posts
28 reviews
Just curious.....

Not trying to freak anybody out, but I am watching a National Geography tv program about the 2004 tsunami, no mention of the Maldives. I am wondering to what extent the Maldives were affected by it?

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Just curious.....

Hi Val

From what i can remember, some damage was done to islands in the North, some swimming pools flooded, and a great deal of sand removed from beaches not realy much else, although i think more damage was done to reef / coral. Although im not a buff on this.

R

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Just curious.....

Hi Val

A lot of the resorts escaped relatively unscathed, although there were some casualties among guests / resort staff. It was the locals who were worst hit...

some info here:

http://www.tsunami.maldiveisle.com/

Ian

sg2
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Just curious.....

I can remember going to Sun Island 6 months after, they had not been impacted apart from a high tide, but acted as an emergency refuge for other islands. We then went to club Faru, over a year after the Tsunami, it had only just reopened. Club Med had refused to extend its lease due to the damage it sustained. If you walked round the island you could see damage on the Palm trees where objects had hit them which was above head height. Also the ground floor rooms had issues regarding a damp smells, despite being dried & redecorated. They were still putting telephone lines which had been ripped out back in. It was quite sobering. It had also ripped out what little reef they had and they had sunk carpet to try and promote new growth.

There are videos on U-Tube showing some of the islands eg summer island village when it happened.

Sg

Edited: 06 April 2010, 14:08
SYD-LON-MUC
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
176 reviews
4. Re: Just curious.....

Give me a moment and if I find an old video I'll pop the video on to youtube for ya...

From what I remember rumps is right.

Also - the North Eastern side of the North Eastern atolls were the hardest hit though the damn not too extensive as you saw in Banda Ache... The Western atolls from what I now were ok as the power was absorbed by the above...

Edited: 06 April 2010, 14:35
SYD-LON-MUC
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
176 reviews
5. Re: Just curious.....

bugger, the video I had was of the tsunami but only had high tide and a rush of water through the island. Only lasted a few minutes but everyone on their roofs and those who were in OWB were with others on the island on the roof. I think I left it at my home in Sydney (Australia) : (

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
431 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Just curious.....

Wow, people died....so sad. Thanks Ian for the site. I saw some video on NatGeo, sobering indeed :(

7. Re: Just curious.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 02:17