We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa requirements

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
visa requirements

Most of the posts on this country are a year or more old.

What's the situation now ...... March 2018, as far as getting this LOI if you are traveling solo without a tour group/guide .... from who and how much ?

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visa requirements

I believe the same applies as always: you can't get a tourist visa without a letter of invitation from a tour agency. However independent travelers can still rely on the loophole of a five day transit visa to explore unsupervised, then dash madly to the Uzbekistan border to not overstay the visa!

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visa requirements

Anyone have any luck getting a transit visa in Armenia ( and waiting to pick it up rather than having it forwarded somewhere else )

I understand the embassy in Baku is either closed or not accepting forwarded visas or issuing visas themselves ??

Mentioned in this post
Baku
Baku
Absheron Region, Azerbaijan
Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visa requirements

Here's an update on visa requirements for Turkmen.

We thought from various posts on this an other forums that there was loophole to get through Turkmen. using a Transit visa which did not require a LOI

Apparently not so ..... please see the quote from an e-mail i received today from the Turkmen. embassy in Yerevan, Armenia.

Türkmenistanyň Ermenistan Respublikasyndaky ilçihanasy <armenia_mfa@online.tm>

To cidrni2002@yahoo.com

Today at 1:23 PM

Hello David,

Let us clarify once again, that the Visas to Turkmenistan are issued only in case you have the permission, i.e. a Permit Letter or Invitation Letter from the State Migration Service of Turkmenistan. For getting the mentioned permission for TRANSIT VISA you can apply to any of the Embassies or Consulates of Turkmenistan bordering with Turkmenistan. Actually it takes about 14 working days, until you get the answer after the documents for applying for Transit Visa are being sent to the State Migration Service by the Turkmenistan Embassy in bordering with Turkmenistan State.

So whereas we thought we had it in the bag, we are not going to wait around in either Armenia or Georgia,

( they have an embassy there as well ) and it appears the embassy in Baku is either closed or doesn't issue visas anyway. Instead we are now looking to cross from Baku to Aquat in KZ instead ... For U.S. citizens no visa is reqd. for KZ

If anyone has " up to date " info on ferry crossings between Baku/Alat and Aquat ..... cargo ship or passenger ferry, with prices/schedules/where to buy tickets etc. please post a reply.

Much appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Yerevan
Yerevan
Armenia
Georgia
Georgia
Europe
Baku
Baku
Absheron Region, Azerbaijan
Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visa requirements

if you want tour of Turkmenistan with invitation letter please send me a message

kind regards

Reply to: visa requirements
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turkmenistan
More Turkmenistan Topics