We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using squat toilets...women only !

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
168 reviews
Using squat toilets...women only !

This is a bit embarrassing but would really like some suggestions...

As a lady of "mature" years, squat toilets present a problem but are often unavoidable. I have difficulty squatting low enough.

How does one use them without wetting ankles and destroying the knees ? Are there other ways/ items to use ?

How do other women cope with this difficulty ?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

Try squatting on one leg with the other stuck out straightish and a hand(from the straight leg body side) on the wall for extra stability.

This was my prefered'stance' until I managed to perfect the correct squat.The hand on wall does help to give more control and results in drier ankles-not always but usually and only one knee suffers so bend the strongest one or vary it each visit.

Living in a village where most of my neighbours houses have this type of loo means I have now attained balance and harmony in this art-but I'm still glad that I have a 'proper'loo :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
168 reviews
2. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

Thanks sarikanarya, I'll have to practice this one. I have a torn cartilage in one knee and my orthopaedic surgeon says "at my age" it won't get better. Getting up is difficult .... I do 3 hours of exercise classes a week so will ask my instructor for advice too.

Province of Milan...
Level Contributor
192 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

There are quite a few toilets like this in Italy as well, (and they call them Turkish toilets!)..... try to position yourself as much over the drain hole as you can, and hike up the trousers.

Here is a link that might help...

wikihow.com/Urinate-Standing-up-As-a-Female

There are also some products available (I've never tried them myself but I've seen reports on other forums....)There are at least two brands, one is P-mate and the other is called Whizzy.

In any event, you definitely want to carry disinfectant gel, and a package of tissues with you all the time!

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

Hi Mulika,

Exactly where are you travelling to in Turkey, because - unless you are in a small village like where Sarikanarya lives - you are pretty unlikely to have to use a squat toilet (or indeed even come across one, and even then normally there is a normal WC available). Roll up the trouser legs definitely though!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

Hi Mulika,

I live in Turkey for 10 years now and everywhere I come there are the so called French toilets (funny enough in Holland we call the squat toilets French), I never use the squat toilets. Only if you will travel more remote inland you will still find these squats. One tip, always carry wet towels in your bag, usually the toilets are very clean, but that is not a guarantee, and also paper might be missing.

Where are you traveling within Turkey?

Hope this helps!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
168 reviews
6. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

Thanks for all your comments - they are very helpful.

We will be travelling to Istanbul, Ankara, Goreme, along the coast, Ephisus, Troy, Gallipoli and back to Istanbul - plus 2 nights on a gulet. I think this is a fairly common circuit.

I've been to many countries with squat toilets, but the knee problem has added an extra dimension.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
168 reviews
7. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

Thanks casinitaly, I checked out the websites you suggested and there are some good ideas there I could adapt. I like the idea of being able to write my name in the snow !!

Province of Milan...
Level Contributor
192 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

Glad to help.

I think it is very odd that from what the regulars say, there are more "Turkish" toilets in Italy than in Turkey!

I've become fairly adept over the years, but I'm much happier with a "regular" toilet, believe me!

Good luck with your caligraphy!

9. Re: Using squat toilets...women only !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 00:18