We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
507 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

How is this market different from what I will experience at the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market? What are the hours? How do I get there from Sultanahmet? Thanks.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

The Tuesday market is nothing like the Grand Bazaar or the Spice Bazzar. It is aimed at local residents not tourists. You will probably not see jewelry or carpets. I think the Tuesday market is something like Wal-Mart or Target on steroids. You can buy anything a normal resident might want including underwear, curtains, clothing, cookware, fabric, hand bags, cosmetics,....each vendor has a small stall and sells one or two things. It is a very festive place to visit, and very hectic with lots of salesmen and lots of locals moving about.

My favorite part of the Tuesday market is the fresh produce section. There are rows and rows of fruits and vegetables. They are larger than anything we see in the US, and sell for about 25% of what we pay in the US. There will be cabbages the size of a human head......a single onion weighing two pounds,,,,strawberries for 2TL/kilo that they scoop up from a huge bin. Depending on what is in season while you are visiting you can buy it at the Tuesday market and it will be cheaper and much more fresh than what we buy in the US.

I cannot give you directions because the location of the market has changed since I was last there. I am sure Enigma can provide directions for you. We generally just take a taxi from the ferry and most drivers know the market.

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

First off Sali Pazar, Kadikoy Tuesday Market is not a flea market, it's a normal everyday local market, it just happens to be larger, much larger than the average local turkish market.

If you're looking for carpets and jewellery you most definetly would find it at the sali pazar, you'l also find almsot everything else imaginable and a few things you never even knew existed :o)

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
507 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

Great, thanks for the details. I actually found an old post by enigma with directions. How late is it open? Is it worthwhile going around 17:30? Or is this the type of market that's best experienced in the morning? Thanks.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,182 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

Pasqualino, The market is at Hasanpasha/Kadikoy and the best is to take a taxi from the pier for a short ride to the market.

It is not a flea market and everything that is sold is brand new but at very cheap prices. As Busy-retired says fruits and vegetables stalls are the most exciting sections but everything that is imaginable is being sold there.

I regularly go to this market on Tuesdays for groceries shopping. The prices are half of what I get at the large Migros supermarket across my home. Here 's a post of mine on the market and inside the post there are some pictures on flicker. "tripadvisor.com/…25774973", and here is some more info: "http://istanbul.mydestinationinfo.com/en/sali(tuesday)-pazari-in-kadikoy".

This market is open till about 6.30 PM in the summer but I suggest that you go there much earlier, preferably in the morning.

good luck,

enigma...

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
507 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

Thanks Enigma. (Sorry for the late reply.) I'm rearranging my schedule. Now I'm wondering how early does it open?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,182 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

About 9.30 AM

enigma...

7. Re: Kadıköy Flea Market on Tuesdays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2010, 00:16