We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency to take to Turkey

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
What currency to take to Turkey

I am totally confused about what currency to use in Turkey.

We travel from New Zealand to London for 2 days then on to Istanbul and Gallipoli

Our Banks here do not deal in Turkish Lira and advise US dollars but all the forums I have read have conflicting advice.

What should we do-purchase euros or sterling or dollars here in New Zealand and change in either London or Istanbul or can we use any of these currencies in Turkey

If exchange is the best option where is the best place to exchange.

Also is visa widely accepted in Turkey

HELP

Thks

Brent

Auckland

NZ

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

Find out what currency your hotel will accept. My hotel accepts USD or Euros, and they quote the room rate in Euros. I carry enough cash to pay my hotel bill on the day of my arrival. Most hotels give a 10% discount for cash. I would purchase enough USD or Euros to pay my hotel bill unless your hotel will take your currency.

For the rest of my financial needs in Istanbul I use my Visa card (for restaurant meals and purchases over $10USD to $20USD) I use my ATM card to withdraw enough TL to pay for other items such as entrance fees, tram, metro, ferry and bus fares, taxi fares, and the odd little items you pick up from here and there.

I do not exchange my currency in the US, and rarely in Turkey. I just use my ATM to withdraw enough TL to last for several days. If you use your ATM and plan to use your Visa be sure to alert the fraud department(s) of your bank(s) so they do not freeze your cards for fraudulent use.

You can locate an ATM right in the airport so you can have TL before you walk out the door.

I hate ATMs and resisted this method until I truly could not cash a traveler's check, but it is the easiest way to get the proper currency in Turkey, and in spite of my hesitation, nothing out of the ordinary has ever happened to us with Turkish ATMs.

If you decide to exchange your Australian currency for TL there are exchange places through out the city. Your hotel staff should be able to help you find the one that is closest to you. I believe, however, that the exchange facilities in the Grand Bazaar generally have the best rate of exchange, and the airport the worst.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

Also if you want some Turkish Lira to take with you so you have some on arrival, you can easily change some NZ currency when you get to London. The exchange offices near Victoria station deal in most currencies and generally have the best rates with no commission.

Obviously the more times you change currencies, the more you lose out so there is no point changing in NZ and then changing again in Turkey - and while you can use euros for your hotel in Istanbul, you will need lira for travel, restaurants, shopping etc - and you won't be able to use euros or dollars in London.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

Hi Brent,

All major currencies (USD, GBP, EUR) are accepted in Turkey. Also, you can change AUD at banks or change offices for sure but you may not be able to spend it. Change a small amount (e.g. 50-100 unit) at the airport, for rest use change offices in city center, rates are a bit better.

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

YYC
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

Use the ATMs. They usually give you the best rate on any given day. Why wait in line to cash/change money in the bank?

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

If you choose to do all your transactions via ATM, let your bank know you are traveling (otherwise they may block your card), make sure you have a 4 digit PIN number, and check if your bank charges a foreign transaction fee (which can sometimes be pretty expensive and will add up if you are making several transactions).

brisbane
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

i will be visiting Turkey on 2 separate days via cruise ship. would it best to just exchange a small amount of our Euros (we will have been in Europe for 3 weeks prior to cruise) to Lira on the ship or should we get some before leaving Australia.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

I have no idea what exchange rate you would receive changing currency on your ship versus changing before you leave. If it were me I would probably get enough TL before leaving the ship so I could buy tram tokens or take a taxi to my first destination. I would then get additional currency at an ATM. I have never been near the cruise ship docks, but I would not be surprised if you didn't find an ATM just steps away from where you leave your ship. Perhaps Cinti or some one else who has arrived in Istanbul via cruise ship can provide more specific information.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,023 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

Hi rendezvousBrisbane,

Welcome to Turkey. You should do neither. Simply use ATM's all over Istanbul to get some Turkish currency. Or you can convert your AUD's to Turkish Lira at any of the banks or Currency Exchange Offices (Doviz) in Istanbul. If you want to exchange currency, best rates are obtained in Istanbul. Also there are ATM's at the piers where you disembark. Here are the current exchange rates: "http://www.xe.com/", which fluctuate slightly thru time.

good luck,

enigma...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,183 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

Make sure you have a dedicated ATM card or debit card for withdrawals. Not all machines offer a choice of which account to use and you may find yourself getting money as a cash advance from your CC.

In my experience most Oz banks charge 2-3% foreign transaction fee and a small flat fee per withdrawal, maybe $2.50. Use of a CC to pay bills will also incur a 2-3% foreign transaction fee.

I do not know money changer fees in Turkey but in airports etc at money changing facilities the exchange rate is usually very bad plus there is a hefty flat fee per exchange, and the whole may amount to about 8% or more.

ATMs are therefore probably your cheapest option.

Some NZ banks may offer a fee free card. If possible go for that. NAB Gold Debit card in OZ and 28degrees Mastercard offer no fees. I have tested them and they are fee free.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What currency to take to Turkey

It's the 21st century; ATM's, found everywhere, are the way to go these days to obtain local currency. And you always will make out better using local currency (except perhaps in Russia???)

Edited: 12 March 2011, 12:11