We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Indianapolis,IN USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

My wife and I will be spending 5 days in Istanbul next month. We planned on leaving Istanbul to Plovdiv, Bulgaria on Sunday April 22 on the night train. I've read where there was flooding in Bulgaria and train rail construction enroute. Could someone help me in planning our journey to Plovdiv ? Bus, airline ?? Thank you in advance.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,185 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

mmorley, Train service has resumed to Eastern Europe after the floods. The train you can take is Bosphorus Express: "www.tcdd.gov.tr/tcdding/avrupa_ing.html". It departs Sirkeci station at 10.00 PM and gets to Plovdiv 8.08 AM the next morning. You can have a sleeper compartment for 2 in this train.

Alternatively you can take a bus trip to Plovdiv which would be faster. Have a look: "turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transpor…". Buses would be cheaper also.

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 07 March 2012, 11:20
Indianapolis,IN USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Thank you very much, do you know how much the trip is by train ?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,185 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

mmorley, It is 35 Euros/pp in a double compartment of the sleeping car.

enigma...

Indianapolis,IN USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Thank you, if you hear of any changes would you please contact me at: mmorley@themorleygroup.com Thanks Mike

Brasília, Distrito...
Level Contributor
1 post
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Vou viajar a Istambul em outubro de 2013 por 6 dias e estou planejando ir a Plovdiv de trem. Alguém tem alguma dica que possa me ajudar?

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Trens de Istambul estão sendo atualizados este ano. Talvez tente o ônibus, que é mais rápido?

Shizuoka, Japan
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

I'm arriving at Istanbul Ataturk Airport at 13:15 on a Tuesday in August. I'd like to go directly to Edirne, spend the next day there and then take a bus to Plovdiv. Is this feasible? Are there direct buses to Plovdiv from Edirne?

Alternatively, I could visit Edirne on my way back to Istanbul from Plovdiv in early Sep.. If there are buses, would anyone know their departure time from Plovdiv and arrival time in Edirne, please?

Thanks in advance.

8. Re: Train travel to Plovdiv, Bulgaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 02:19