We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Turkey from Bulgaria

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
driving to Turkey from Bulgaria

Hello,

We are driving from Bulgaria to Turkey in a few months. What requirements are needed to drive in Turkey? I read somewhere that you need to carry two orange traffic cones at all times.

Will a Bulgarian driver's license be okay?

Thanks in advance!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,165 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Turkey from Bulgaria

Shazam, welcome to Turkey.

Does you rental car agency allow you to take their cars out of the country? Or is it your own car that you are driving?. You need to have all your ownership or rental papers, insurance papers, etc. in order and for those consult the Bulgarian authorities. Your valid Bulgarian licence is OK. You register Boston as your hometown under your screenname. If you have a valid US drivers licence, that should be OK also. Yes you need to have a traffic emergency - security package in your car, including those cones. Mostly first aid material.

The roads are good and well signposted. Here is the online Turkey road map by Turkish Highways Directorate: "kgm.gov.tr/SiteCollectionImages/…Turkiye.jpg". Make sure you heed the speed limits because radars and cameras are everywhere. Get yourself a good road map. You also need a HGS sticker for your car for the toll roads. You can get it from the PTT offices at Edirne, your first large town after entering Turkey. Also you can use a GPS system for electronic navigation (like Garmin) and it would be useful especially at the countryside. I do not recommend too much driving inside Istanbul.

good luck,

enigma...

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Turkey from Bulgaria

Triangles, for emergency stops, not cones, like the ones found at roadworks. The requirements for Bulgaria are a bit more stringent than for Turkey, so if you're legal there, you should be here too.

As Enigma says, driving from Europe is ideal, but perhaps best if you plan to turn South for Kesan, Cannakale and the Aegean Coast.

We see little convoys of cars from Bulgaria all the time here in Selcuk. For some reason they seem to travel in threes and have left their hubcaps at home.

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Turkey from Bulgaria

Thanks for the responses Enigma and Robert. We are driving in a friend's car, not a rental. Enigma thanks for the link for the highways. We were planning on parking once we get to Istanbul and not moving the car until we leave. I am hoping we can find a parking lot that is not that expensive for a few days. Do you know if we need a fire extinguisher as part of the first aid kit.?

Thanks again.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to Turkey from Bulgaria

Yes there should be a small fire extinguisher on board. I had to buy a pack of stuff including that in order to travel from Turkey into Europe last year. The average gas station near the border will have such a kit. It's very unlikely that anyone will check, but you might as well be prepared, to avoid a little delay at the border.

The entry to Turkey is now very well computerised. In my Turkish registered car it took me literally three minutes (passport + customs) - late August 2012. Tourist vehicles may take a bit longer, especially at busy times for Islamic holidays.

5. Re: driving to Turkey from Bulgaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 01:17