We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone rental

Calgary
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone rental

Two of my family members rented cellphones from IsraelPhones over the summer. One phone would not recharge, which we later found out was because the phone had been delivered with the wrong charger unit. Unfortunately this problem occurred 24 hours before the one-day long Shavuot holiday was to begin, and for some reason the IsraelPhones office closed down for 2 full days rather than one day like every other business, which meant being without cell phone service for 3 days and needing to use the expensive hotel phone for all calls including overseas business calls. Israelphones offered no compensation for the 3 days, not even agreeing to extend the contract by those 3 days. That phone also developed a glitch, where the phone would turn off each time a text message was received; it was eventually replaced twice. The second phone has also stopped working and is in the process of being replaced.

When broken phones are replaced (or charger units supplied), IsraelPhones offer a 10-hour window for cell phone delivery, and require that the customer offer a secondary phone number (even though most renters have no other number) AND that the customer be available, at one location, for the entire 10-hour period. For anyone visiting for a short vacation where time is precious and itineraries pre-arranged, this is an entire day wasted waiting for a replacement phone that is not even guaranteed to last. The cell phones are older models (2004) and are in poor condition. According to IsraelPhones, there are no better or newer models available.

It is obvious that customer satisfaction is of no concern when dealing with this company. We would never rent from them again, and recommend that you choose a different vendor too.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone rental

Your input is important. There are several companies which rent out cell phones, price should not be the main consideration, but rather the types of phones available and service policies. It is also best to check all equipment before leaving the rental station.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone rental

Sorry you had such a negative experience that marred part of your trip.

Thanks for the feedback - I'm sure others will benefit from it.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone rental

Good to have this information. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

My own experience was with Amigo-phone and was overall good.

Kathy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone rental

I found travelcell.com good.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 16:13
Calgary
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone rental

Thanks for your replies......I do hope this will help someone in the future.

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone rental

In June I used TalknSave. I found their service great and prices reasonable. They deliverd the cell to my hotel where it aws waiting for me upon arrival.

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone rental

I have used Amigo a few times, and found their service to be excellent. They ship you the phone in the US prior to departure & you return it in their packaging upon your return. In Israel, they contract out for technical services. I once had a similar problem with the phone not recharging, and called them. They also needed a window of time to come to pick it up and then to deliver it back--or I was invited to come to the nearest service center, which I did since I did not want to hang out at my hotel for them. They replaced the battery, tested it and the charger, quickly and at no cost to me. I don't know if their service center is open on a holiday, though, so that situation might not differ from your own. But I was very satisfied with their service overall and the quality of their phones.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,315 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone rental

I had good customer service with Amigo as well, including replacing a phone shipped to me just before my departure that did not work. I had a new phone two days later. (And a lesson is -- always check the phone before you leave the country, though I could have replaced it in Israel as well.)

Douglas Duckett

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phone rental

I also had a terrible experience with IsraelPhones. They over charged me every month, their billing is very unclear, and after having returned the phone they charged me a $75 late fee a month later. I called to complain and they basically blew me off and then I got an email from the 'customer service manager' saying that whoever told me I wouldn't have a late fee 'would never have said that'.

Overall DON'T USE ISRAELPHONES. Find another source, or better yet and cheaper, buy a $10 SIM card when you get there and load it up with minutes. It will work with any phone that takes SIM cards from North America or you can buy a phone for under $50 there. My friend did that and saved a lot of money over the 11 months we were there.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,060 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cell phone rental

The above poster writes that a SIM card will work with any North American phone that takes a SIM card. I don't know about Canada ( where the poster is from) BUT phones sold by American cellphone companies are LOCKED! Unless you know how to unlock them or specifically buy an unlocked phone the SIM card will NOT work!