We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2016, 16:24
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

Wadi Rum and Petra are usually combined for one visit. If possible I recommend the two days trip to Petra and Wadi Rum

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

Why not also ask on the Jordanian forum? Also, have you verified if you need an advance visa. If you are with a group on an Israeli passport I think you are okay, but check!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

It really depends on where you originate your day trip from.

If, for example, you make a day trip from Jerusalem to see Petra and Wadi Rum then a day trip is very difficult if not impossible. If you start from Eilat it's much more doable.

I would recommend an overnight in Jordan with the night being at a Bedouin camp in Wadi Rum.

Dr. Z

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

When I went, I went with Desert Eco Tours and started in Eilat. I was on the 2 day tour but we started out with the people who were on the one day tour. All told, they got about 3ish hours in Petra. By the time we arrived it was later morning and they had to be back on the bus by early afternoon. In Petra, they got as far as the royal tombs and then had to turn back while those of us on the 2 day tour got to keep going. On the second day we did Wadi Rum.

I recommend doing all of your Jordan touring and then all of your Israel touring or vise versa rather than jumping back and forth between the two countries.

Edited: 21 January 2016, 10:22
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,520 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

DJCat1's experience exactly matched mine. The one-day folks got to walk to the Treasury (the best-known sight) and a little beyond, but certainly did not see "everything in Petra." (Not that I would find that particularly important.) I did the two-day version, so I had an extra 2-3 hours, which I used to climb to the Monastery, an 850-step hike that about did me in. :-) That was beautiful and stunning, but I was 56 at the time and weighed more than I do now, so not sure I'd do that again. If you're fit (and actually I do a lot of cardio), it's doable.

I really enjoyed Wadi Rum -- a totally different, off-road experience.

So, in sum, you can see a lot in one day from Eilat. You see more with two days, and I stayed at Taybet Zeman in Jordan overnight, which was a delightful experience.

I agree that going back and forth between the countries makes no sense at all.

Douglas Duckett

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
777 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

I think you need a full day. With an 11am arrival I was able to see the Siq, Treasury, and then Monastery, but I was there until sunset.

7. Re: Is a day tour long enough to see everything in Petra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2017, 00:16