We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

I've read the various threads on the new Jordanian visa regulations and admit to still being a bit confused. Recognizing it is still early in the year, has anyone actually made the trip across the border yet? It would be good to have some first-hand reports from people who have made the journey from Eilat to Petra and back, both for one day and for more than one day. Thank you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

Just to close the loop on my initial post, we ended up booking through a tour company (three days and two nights) and were told that it would handle getting the visa. If this doesn't work and we end up spending three days at the border crossing, I'll re-post the information here (just kidding on getting stranded....I hope).

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

Re post 8 & confirming that post 9 is correct, I've checked again with the tour operator that I am using for Petra & have been assured that it is not 3 nights but 2 nights stay = no visa

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

Hi there, Ben here from Tourist Israel and Eilat Shuttle. The info posted here is correct and up to date, but it's important to clarify a couple of things relating to visiting independently or with a group:

We operate shuttle services from Ovda and Eilat to Aqaba, which is not a service which includes visa preparation. It's crucial to have full documentation and confirmation regarding accommodations in Jordan proving 2 or more nights in the country. Our experience with passengers who do not have this information clearly is that the process can be long and a little awkward.

When it comes to tourists taking tours to Petra, any licensed tour operator has the ability to streamline the process which means that three day (two night) tours, do not require visa fee and visa will be issued at the border without extra charge (just border tax).

Hope this helps firm things up

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

That does help. That is the same information I received from Desert Eco Tours out of Eilat, which I have used in the past to visit Petra and Wadi Rum.

Douglas Duckett

15. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2016, 07:46
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

Dave, Ben IS following TA strict rules. See this link.

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

3rd section

17. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2016, 07:46
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

By the way, it is important to add that the Jordanian authorities are still settling into the new routines following the changes, and we are seeing that the process is improving every day. But, it is still important to be aware that things are still changing. As an agency with staff on the ground in Eilat we monitor this daily and see the changes first hand, often without warning, but for those traveling independently, it's very important not to take any information for granted, because there are often surprises.

19. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

Removed on: 17 February 2016, 17:36
20. Re: Eilat to Petra: First-hand reports on New Visa Regulations?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2017, 00:16