We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

Opava, Czech...
4 posts
Save Topic
Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

On our travel to Eilat, we plan to rent a car and make some trips. Is it safe to travel in rented car alone for example from Eilat to Dead sea? May be stupid question, but just to be sure... Are there some special safety instructions when driving? Patrols, military, police, random hitch-hiking people etc? Thank you!

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

The road is under complete Israeli control. There is one check-point when you head north on 90 from Eilat and most of the road after that point is two lanes with no divider. The only safety recommendations would be to not drive the road in the dark, as it's not illuminated other than junctions, and to bring water with you in the event your car breaks down, as you are in the middle of the desert. Cell phone reception in the area is not that great either and the times that I have driven my phone picks up JOMOBILE from Jordan.

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

the route from eilat to the dead sea is a safe route to drive. just be aware of the winding roads and its not lit at night. if there have been any rainfall watch out for flash floods but that depends on what time of year you will be visiting Israel.

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
780 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

If you've driven a country road in the US, you've driven route 90. I wouldn't stress the night time either, if you've driven a country road at night in the US, you've driven route 90.

Although it is a BEAUTIFUL road so you miss a lot at night.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

And while hitchhiking was once common in Israel, it is not now -- I would not pick up hitchhikers any more.

Otherwise, as others have said -- no safety concerns. And my qualification is simply an overabundance of caution -- but what my Israeli friends now tell me.

Douglas Duckett

Opava, Czech...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

Thank you for your replies and for your help!

Eilat, Israel
Level Contributor
164 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

I can't emphasize enough something DawnBev wrote above: if it rains in Jerusalem, the Judean hills or desert, or the Hebron hills, the water comes down to the Dead Sea road (between Ein Boqeq and Ein Gedi) within hours and can cause flooding, mudslides and road closures. Even after the road reopens there can be standing water or mud slicks on the road for another 24-48 hours. So check the weather forecast and plan accordingly. Otherwise, when the weather is dry (most of the time!) the road is quite safe if you don't mind winding roads.

7. Re: Safety for travel by retnted car (Eilat to Dead sea, etc.)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2017, 00:17