We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

i read in this forum it is very hard to find parking near the old city.

i see some post topics that there is an underground parking, but the directions to go to underground parking are so complicated. they mention so many streets, go left, go right...if i do not find a gps, how will i get there.??? i come from eilat, probably from derech jericho. is there a parking near by? it does not have to be very close to old city. i can always take a taxi to old city and mt of olives. i hope, because we go on friday`s shabbat. will there be many traffic at friday, 1-2 pm?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

Parking near the Old City is indeed limited. If you are lucky you will find on street parking in the area which will be free after the "meter hours" on Friday are over - I believe around 1 pm. You will not have to worry about meters until Sunday morning.

I'm not sure which underground parking you are referring to - but please make sure that it is open on Shabbat - some are not.

Then again, once you have your bearings you can drive a bit farther out and find free street parking for over Friday night. You should not have any trouble finding a taxi to get back to your car if needed.

Traffic on Friday at 1-2 pm is not particularly heavy and shouldn't be an issue.

UK
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

maybe its the mamilla shopping center car park?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

The Karta car park (adjacent to the Mamilla car park) is open on Saturdays.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

thanks for the fast reply`s

yes i mean the the new Mamila complex. i saw this in a earlier post from oreets :) i was planning to visit first mt olives, church of all nations, gethsemane, after making a short walk in the old city, the via dolora..and after drive up to nazareth to go to hotel. in nazareth, the next morning visit Church of the Annunciation, and then make the drive to yardenit to baptise. does that seems reasonable? so i would only need the parking place for 1 day in jerusalem. how can i check if the underground parking is open, and the one davetheguide mentions? is there a website of the 2 parkings with opening hours. if not i will take my chance and park in a street.

thank u

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

The Mamilla parking garage is closed on Saturday, but the adjacent Karta garage (the one closer to Jaffa Gate) is open.

I suggest you park your car in the Karta garage and then take a taxi to the top of the Mt of Olives. From there you can walk down to the Garden of Gethsemane and then enter the Old City via the Lion's Gate to start the Via Dolorosa. Even though I created this itinerary with cruise ship passengers in mind, this should work for you: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27333-Shore_ex…

The next day, leave Jerusalem very early in the morning and head north along Hwy 90 (Jordan Valley). Your first stop can be at the Yardenit baptismal site, then head along the eastern shores of the lake to reach Capernaum. You can also visit the two churches at Tabgha and Mt of Beatitudes (check opening hours) before heading to the Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth. The church in Nazareth closes at 18:00.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

thank u davetheguide :)

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

do u know the parking is open on friday?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

Parking lots that are open on Saturday will definitely be open on Friday - and will not close early in the day.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,380 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

Understand that you have the Mamilla mall. Under the mall are TWO parking complexes. One is the Mamilla parking and the other is the Karta Parking. The Karta entrance is the one closest to the Old City--To the casual observer it looks like multiple entrances to the same parking lot. It isn't!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: parking near jerusalem with rental car on friday shabbat

You did not mention where you are staying -- the reason you need parking near the Old City on Shabbat -- it is in the Old City itself? Some hotels have parking lots for guests, although limited they may have space (but not inside the Old City).

To get to the Carta lot from Eilat take highway 90 to highway 1, turn left and continue following the signs to Jerusalem. Shortly after the check-point keep to the right. There is a blue sign on the side of the road pointing to Jerusalem, but it's right at the turnoff. Follow the signs to Tel Aviv (there is a turn off to the right by the bridge). Once you are under the bridge you will turn left (not continue to Tel Aviv). Keep on this road until you see the walls of the Old City on your left and a sign to go into a tunnel on your right. Go into the tunnel. When you come out, continue straight until the stop light and turn right. About 30 meters after the turn you will find the entrance to the Carta parking lot which as mentioned is open on Friday and Saturday (but not 24 hours a day).

Chana

Israel