We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hezekiah's Pool

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
126 reviews
114 helpful votes
Hezekiah's Pool
Save

I've seen some pictures of Hezekiah's pool in the Christian Quarter of the Old City.

Is there a way in to see this - or a vantage point from which it can be seen? How would I find it?

Thanks. :)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
399 reviews
244 helpful votes
1. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

As of 2010 the Hezekiah pool is dry and surrounded by buildings on all sides. It is not far from Jaffa gate, next to Petra Hotel along HaNotsrim (Christians) st.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
126 reviews
114 helpful votes
2. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Thanks. I'd found out a bit about that on the internet, but is there a way in to see it if it is surrounded by buildings on all sides?

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
22,501 posts
325 reviews
244 helpful votes
3. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Yes you can go up onto the roof of the Imperial Hotel. Just go inside and ask at the desk where the steps are leading to the rooftop.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
30 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Another way is to enter the Wujoud Center for Orthodox Arab Christians on David Street. It is a center focusing on the culture of Palestinian Christians and worth a visit. From their roof you have a great view of the pool. There are plans to turn it into a place for entertainment! It has already been cleaned up but there is some way to go.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
126 reviews
114 helpful votes
5. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Thank you both. :)

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Heather, read this post from my friend Tom Powers (and don't miss the link at the bottom for the update):

http://israelpalestineguide.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/clean-up-fix-up-time-at-hezekiahs-pool/

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
22,501 posts
325 reviews
244 helpful votes
7. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Not that the article is from 3 years ago and it was indeed cleaned up. I am not sure what the state is today, but you can certainly go see it from the rooftops. There is not a convenient safe way to get there by foot and there are no shops, etc to visit.

Chana

Israel

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
126 reviews
114 helpful votes
8. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Thanks Pastor Al. I had actually found that article when I was searching for more info on it. They certainly removed a lot of things. It definitely looks a whole lot more hygienic. :).

I didn't expect there to be any shops or anything like that, Chana. I was just a little fascinated by the thought that this may possibly have been where the water ended up after Hezekiah's cut the water tunnel.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
18 helpful votes
9. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Here's a picture of the roof of the Petra Hostel in 2006. I trust it looks a lot better now.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_KXe-KFB82I/UxZdpY5e3JI/AAAAAAAAB1s/z4mFN7ZvM9Q/s1600/HezPool.jpg

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
126 reviews
114 helpful votes
10. Re: Hezekiah's Pool
Save

Wow... I had seen pictures of it before but that green colour makes it look totally putrid! What a good thing they have done a clean up!

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.