We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

Mooresville, Alabama
6 posts
Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

Hello,

My 2018 flight to Tel Aviv arrives at 12:20 p.m Friday and I would like to fly out to Eilat on the same day. I know it's a bit tight, but there is a flight from Ben Gurion to Eilat at 14:15 the same day. Will that give me enough time to get through customs, etc. I will only have my carry on backpack. There is also a flight to SDE Dov airport at 14:30, but I don't believe I have a chance to make it with that one.

Please advise.

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,865 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

You are cutting it close. How much time in advance does it say you need prior to your Eilat flight. Don't forget you are going to arrive at Terminal 3 and depart from terminal 4, so you have to go through immigration and customs, take a shuttle to the other terminal and check in there--going through security. What you want to do may be impossible. ( are they telling you to arrive 2 hours in advance, 1.5 hours in advance or what)

Israel
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
586 reviews
2. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

The times are not possible for remaining at Ben Gurion.

There is no reason and it is wrong to go to Sde Dov

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,986 posts
322 reviews
3. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

You need to be at check in at least one hour in advance therefore neither option is a possibility.

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,979 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

You have to assume an hour to get out if the airport. You then have to wait for the shuttle to go to Terminal 1. What if your flight arrives late? You have to go through a security check for domestic flights and the airlines recommend arriving 90 minutes in advance.

A taxi from Ben-Gurion to Sde-Dov takes 30 minutes in normal traffic.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,865 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

Well there it is, Mbgg answered in # 4 the question I asked in #1. 90 minutes in advance means what you want to do is impossible!

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

Consider a train to Beer-Sheva and a Bus, to which you can make early reservation. From 14:00 until 16:30 there is a Bus every 30 minutes. The journey from Beer-Sheva to Eilat is about 4 hours. Thus you can easily arrive to Eilat around 19:00.

Alternatively rent a car and drive.

Mooresville, Alabama
6 posts
7. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

Thanks everyone. Yes, after thinking it through and also calling the airline they recommended 3 to 4 hours between flights. So, I'm going to save myself from a lot of stress and hang out in Tel Aviv, get some good rest and catch the next available flight on Saturday. I was being a little sporty in trying to start the Shvil trail on Saturday. Sunday might still be a little sporty after a long flight, but I'd be more rested than Saturday ;0)

Thanks again!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,523 posts
114 reviews
8. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov

If you are planning to hike the Israel Trail - Shvil Yisrael then a few suggestions.

While the trail is well marked, especially for someone who knows how to read trail markings - it is quite remote and there is no guarantee that you will run into anyone else on the trail. Are you planning to hike this on your own? It is always a good idea for there to be someone that knows where your starting point is and your expected stopping point for the day - someone you can check in with, so that if they don't get a check in from you can alert search and rescue.

You will need to carry plenty of water as for most of the southern portions of the trail there is no water available along the route. Also it's a good idea to have an up to date trail map with you.

Edited: 03 December 2017, 01:18
Reply to: Ben Gurion Airport to Eilat vs. SDE Dov
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted