We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

I would like advise about the celebrations in Tel Aviv for Purim March 1 2018

Is there a parade? does everybody dress up for it? I was told not to miss it so I stayed a bit longer making March 1 my last day in Israel

All suggestions are appreciated By the way I am traveling solo

Thank you

11 replies to this topic
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

The largest parade in Israel is in Holon, a city adjacent to Tel Aviv from the south. People dress up - the many dress in cotsumes or use funny masks etc., but it's not an obligation.

Here's a video of it from 2014: https://youtu.be/LJkK34WRim4?t=596

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
560 posts
1 review
2. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

Yes, Holon, not sure how you'll get there from TA, and the streets are blocked so you probably have to walk the last 3 or 4 blocks. First time there last year I got there early, but didn't stand next to the street, so I ended up watching from the 4th, then 3rd row most of the time. It lasted 75 or 80 minutes So many wonderful, beautiful children. I took a lot of stills and more videos, but this is the best one and the only one I've posted The volume of the music is largely determined by where you stand, how far from speakers. I was only about 40 feet away so turn your speakers all the way up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMMmq6alCQ

Some times it's best to just look and not record, but otoh, I ran down the battery on my camera and then the battery on my phone, so make sure they're fully charged. (I had spare batteries for the camera but hadn't started using them yet.)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,508 posts
3. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

Holon is big; Tel Aviv is bigger; there are dozens of bus routes going from one to the other - different parts - and without knowing where you are staying nobody can advise on the best way to get to the Purim parade.

A few days before Purim post here with details of where you're staying and someone will help with public transport info.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
560 posts
1 review
4. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

You also, so you won't waste too much time, need to know where in Holon it is. I tried to find a map of the route online and couldn't so I just followed my nose, but I can imagine wasting an hour doing that. And if you noticed the two videos are taken on different streets, one much wider and one with a divider in the middle. I hope to go this year too, and I'd love to know in advance which street was the wide one. I don't even remember the name of the street with the divider that I was on, but I think it ran north and south and had nothing but shops on the first floor.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,508 posts
5. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

There will be publicity nearer the time. All the local papers as well as the Holon municipality website, will have route maps etc. Lidia, a couple of days before Purim post here again (or start a new thread). Nobody on the forum will remember several months from now that you wanted this info!

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

Thank you all for your suggestions I will post again & will also check when I arrive in Israel( first stop Jerusalem ) I plan to stay at Maxim Hotel on Hayarkon St

I appreciate your suggestions

5 posts
7. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

There are parades in several cities in Israel. The parades are called "Adloyada" when I was a child I used to go to the parade in Holon( a city part of Greater Tel Aviv), I believe you can get there from Tel Aviv by taxi bus or car. Waze or Google Maps will help you get there.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,979 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

If you go to Holon you can also visit the Design Museum:

http://www.dmh.org.il/default.aspx

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,508 posts
9. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

<<I believe you can get there from Tel Aviv by taxi bus or car. >>

Matan, that's truly helpful (and astonishing!) information. You can get to anywhere in Israel from Tel Aviv by taxi, bus (most places) or car.

But without knowing exactly where Lidia is staying, and where exactly the Holon Purim parade will be taking place, it's far too early to look up bus details. And knowing what buses are like here, if it's the right bus number today it might very well be different by Purim.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv

Lidia, just to seek clarification you will arrive at Ben Gurion (TLV) in February 2018 and then spend your last few days in late February up to March 1 at the Maxim Hotel on Hayarkon in Tel Aviv ?

Reply to: 2018 Purim in Tel Aviv
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted