We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosmetics and Toiletries

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
277 reviews
Save Topic
Cosmetics and Toiletries

Are American cosmetics and toiletries readily available? I may be staying for a longer period and will need more than my quart size baggy allowed on the airlines.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

Yes - you can find most everything here for a price - there are also excellent local and European products available. Is there something specific that you are thinking of?

Also - you can pack more than your quart size baggie as long as you put it in your checked luggage.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,123 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

AMerican cosmetics are amazingly expensive. In fact, all cosmetics are high in israel. It is one of the items that I bring 100% from the states and I live in Israel 40-45% of the year. As Oreet said, put them in your checked luggage and as long as you watch your total weight--you are fine.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

Hello. I would appreciate your advice of where to purchase shampoos and body lotions, sunscreen, etc. in Tel Aviv. They don't need to sell U.S. brands. Are there names of stores I can search for, or locations where I should look? Thanks so much.

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

Gail S, SuperPharm, (site only in Hebrew http://www.super-pharm.co.il) I think is the biggest drugstore chain. It carries things at all price levels. Local brands of sunscreen , body wash and shampoos are reasonably priced, Like American drugstores, they have store brands ("Life) and almost always something in a category is on sale. New Pharm is another chain http://www.new-pharm.co.il/

You can find some things at supermarkets, but they have usually one aisle for all that stuff and the selection is much more limited.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

Thank you so much, just what I was looking for! Best regards.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

BTW, from my personal experience, Israeli shampoos suds up better in the hard Israeli water than American or European brands do.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

Good to know! Thank you.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

Also: unless you live somewhere particularly dry, you might want to use shampoo, conditioner and creams with more moisturizing content than what you normally use - the climate here is very dry and will dry out your skin and hair.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,123 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

Definitely buy Israeli shampoo. While I bring cosmetics from the US I do NOT bring shampoo because it doesn't work as well as Israeli in the hard water!

Ask for help in the store, like in the US it is available for normal, dry, oily, colored etc.etc hair!

Edited: 17 May 2013, 00:06
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cosmetics and Toiletries

I find that SuperPharm prices are about the highest in Israel. If you're in Tel Aviv, you can usually get good prices at Tabachnik, very close to Dizengoff Center. They also sell on the website drugstore.co.il Unfortunately the site is only in Hebrew, but you can get an idea of what's available and what the prices are by clicking around on it. They show 2 prices, list and theirs (less). Other numbers you'll see are quantities (45 grams, 200 ml. etc). Google Translate kind of works.