We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Lebanon

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
1 week in Lebanon

Hello all! I’ve done a lot of research into this but I want to ask people who have actually been there.

I’m a well-travelled young Irish man looking to spend 6/7 days in Lebanon Mid-October. I have read online that many people say I should book all of my accomodation for Beirut and just do say trips to the major tourist spots because they are so close by i.e Jetta Grotto, Byblos & Harrissa and then Baalbek & Baatara are 90 Mins away. Do you agree or should I consider staying in another city other than Beirut.

Any advice is much appreciated, cheers!

13 replies to this topic
1. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2018, 06:37

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
2. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

Hello Niall,

Use Beirut as a base for all your one day trip to major tourist attractions.

In fact, there are 85 km between Beirut and Baalbeck and 2 hours drive, 85 km between Beirut and Tyre and 2 hours drive, and 85 km between Beirut and Tripoli and 2 hours drive.

7 days are a good average to visit major tourist and archaeological attractions in the 9 Governorates that make up Lebanon.

Best regards

Edited: 01 February 2018, 16:53
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

Hey guys i really appreciate it!

It’s confirmed my thought that I should just book 1 weeks accomodation in Beirut and then do trips, it’s a lot less hassle also, thank you very much once again!

Beirut, Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Beirut
Level Contributor
475 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

making Beirut your base is best decision its the center to every direction you take

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
5. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

As a small country with an excellent road and highway network, Lebanon is easy to explore.

Many of its sightseeing attractions are outside of Beirut, but no part of the country is more than a couple of hours drive from the hotels of the capital where most visitors are to be based.

This is an 8-day itinerary in Lebanon:

Day 1 Combine a day visit to Jeita Grotto, take a cable car in Jounieh up to the 600 m shrine of "Our Lady of Lebanon" in Harissa for a panoramic mountain and sea, continue around noon to the Byblos archaeological site.

Day 2 Visit Chateau Ksara winery for a wine tasting session, proceed to the Umayyads ruins in Anjar, both in the Bekaa Governorate, continue later to the Roman temples in Baalbeck. If you still have time and are a wine enthusiast, visit Chateau Kefraya winery in the West Bekaa District.

Day 3 Visit the Roman amphitheater and the church of "Our Lady of the Seas" to see the 225 m long, 6 m height Phoenician wall in Batroun. Go on up to the 1,200 m Baatara sinkhole in Tannourine, if you still have time and are a nature lover hike in the Tannourine Cedars Nature Reserve.

Day 4 Visit Tripoli, its city center, old souks and the 12th century Saint- Gilles Crusader citadel overlooking Tripoli.

Day 5 Visit Sidon, its 13th century Crusader Sea Castle, its old souks, including the 17th century Khan el Franj, the Debbane Palace and the soap museum. If you are interested in dark tourism continue around noon to the Mleeta Resistance Tourist Landmark an open air museum in the Nabatiyeh Governorate reflecting the resistance during the Israeli occupation in Southern Lebanon. Along your way back to Beirut proceed to the shrine of "Our Lady Al Mantra" in Maghdouche place where Holy Virgin Mary used to wait for Jesus while he was preaching in Sidon.

Day 6 Visit the Roman Hippodrome in Tyre and if you like religious tourism, visit the nearby Qana Grotto believed to be the spot where Jesus performed its first miracle by changing water into wine at the wedding of Qana.

Day 7 Visit in the Chouf District, Deir el Qamar Square, the opulent 18th century Beiteddine Palace, the Ain Wazein Grotto full if stalactite and stalagmite if different shape discovered only in 2003, hike around noon in the Chouf Cedars Nature Reserve the largest nature reserve in Lebanon with the most beautiful cedar trees.

Day 8 Enjoy the charm of the 1 km long, 250 m width, Lake Bnachii take a paddle boat along the lake, visit the Taxidermy Wildlife Museum by the lake, continue further to The Cedars and hike in the Cedars Nature Reserve known as the Cedars of God, the smallest nature reserve in Lebanon with cedar trees 2,000 years old.

Note, though, that Jeita Grotto, the cable car in Jounieh, the Beiteddine Palace and the Beirut National Museum are closed on Mondays.

Best regards

Edited: 02 February 2018, 11:13
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

That’s awesome thank you very much for that :D

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
7. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

Perfect !

Sorong, Indonesia
1 post
1 review
8. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

Gaby 85 thank you for your great itinerary 1 week in Lebanon idea. My husband and I are thinking of going skiing in the middle of Feb 2019 in Lebanon. What is Lebanon like at that time of year. Cheers

Helen

Australia

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

Hello Helen,

February is the coldest month in Lebanon, with temperatures ranging between 5 and 10 degrees Celsius on the coast and minus zero to 10 degrees Celsius in the mountains.

The ski season starts the first week of January and ends mid April, the most visited ski resorts are the Mzaar Ski Resort in Oyoun el Siman next to Faraya and The Cedars Ski Resort next to Bcharre.

Best regards

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
22 posts
10. Re: 1 week in Lebanon

I agree with the others. Find a nice place in Beirut and make it your base. Day trips are so easy and due to our small size you will easily cover all the areas in one week.

Reply to: 1 week in Lebanon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted