We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

Roxanne2010
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

I need to be in Jordan by 8 January 2011 to join a team project. I had 2 days in Damascus in December 2003 and I want to go back. The plan is to have 4 days in Damascus and then travel overland to Amman. Does anybody have any recommendations for female friendly accommodation in Damascus. From my past experience I would like somewhere in the old city, with heating (it will be the middle of winter) and an ensuite bathroom rather than shared and down the hall. It does not need to have meals (including breakfast) iincluded because I am more than happy to go out for meals especially as I plan to walk alot and really explore the old city. I have Ross Burns' book on Damascus and will also buy the most recent edition of the Lonely Planet. The Damascus Hostel (www.damascushostel.com) gets a pretty good wrap elsewhere however I wondered if any women who have travelled in Syria had any personal recommendations on hotels in the old city of Damascus. Many thanks for any advice,

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
960 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

You cant go wrong with Damascus Hostel for backpacker accomodation. They have rooms with their own showers. You will meet other foriegners in a family atmosphere.

If you want to try other budget Hotels there is a list on TA with reviews..

Mentioned in this post
london
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

hello

Isn't Damascus hostel shut at the moment?

Im gettting the impression that a lot of the budget accommodation you have to book by phone also

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,317 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

Hi jonhope

i taught i should clarify the present situation with Damascus Hostel.

It is not shut.Since last month it changed policy while im (Raymond)travelling and away from hostel we have been taking students on monthly rental terms.

At present we do have a couple of rooms that are vacant and can accommodate short term visitors to Damascus.

the travel and tours programe at hostel continues as usual.

Mentioned in this post
Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
820 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

I don't know if Beit Al Mamlouka fits your style, but 2 of us, both women, stayed there in late March - early April and couldn't be more pleased with the service, accommodations, & everything. The staff couldn't have been more polite and discreet. Our stay there added much, much to our fond memories of Damascus and Syria.

Mentioned in this post
Beit Al Mamlouka
Beit Al Mamlouka
108 Reviews
Damascus, Syria
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
117 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

Hi Roxanne,

We agree with Auntie Beeb. In June, my wife and I stayed at Damascus Hostel. See TripAdvisor reviews. After you read these experiences (58 score DamascusHostel as Excellent) you will probably be excited. At DamascusHostel, if you are like most of us, you’ll be inspired – it’s that kind of a place.

TripAdvisor lists DamascusHostel under “Specialty Lodging” and “Damascus Specialty Lodging” – not under Hotels, not under B&Bs/Inns.

See our review and photos, title: “Best Value in Walled City”.

Maki & John

Mentioned in this post
london
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

hello. How can you book a stay at this hostel. I just want to stay for 2 nights but have received no response to my emails. It appears they only welcome long stay bookings. Please advise

7. Re: Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 00:17