We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female dress for restaurants in evening

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Female dress for restaurants in evening

Greetings,

I will be in Syria with my husband next week and am wondering how conservative dress is at night, esp. at the trendier restaurants? I have read conflicting descriptions, some articles saying the stores there are selling Doce & Gabbana (anti-conservative) and others saying women should dress conservatively. For instance, would a simple sleeveless dress be fine? Strapless dress? I assume it is more conservative than dress in Beirut, just wondering how much?

Thanks to anyone who can help as I pack!

Damascus, Syria
Destination Expert
for Damascus
Level Contributor
969 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Female dress for restaurants in evening

Yes, it is more conservative in Damascus than Beirut, but there are many varied types of dress worn by women, and girls and in the trendier restaurants you will find very modern dress.

A sleevless dress would be fine or even maybe strapless but in that case a light shawl is advisable to drape round your shoulders while travelling to the Restaurant.

We have had a long discussion about type of dress in Syria on this Forum and it boils down to dress codes vary according to where you are at the time.

Have a good time in Syria!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Female dress for restaurants in evening

Thanks for your advice! After I posted my question, I searched for 'dress' and found the long discussion on it in this forum, which mainly confused me even more! I will err on the conservative side.

Damascus, Syria
2 posts
3. Re: Female dress for restaurants in evening

Hi, I spent many, many years in Damascus and still here. I know the city and it's people real well. I would say, simply use good common sense. Damascus is not conservative. As long as you are not outlandishly and unnecessarily revealing too much skin in a flaunting manners, no body would think anything of it. And even if you did, there will only be some double takes and that’s it. No one will bother or question you. It is not Saudi Arabia. It's a "to each his own society" sleeveless, strapless, short dress or short skirt is fine. Shorts are OK as well. For both sexes. Dress as you like in good taste and you will be fine. Temps have been in the 90s lately. Have a good time and enjoy your stay.

4. Re: Female dress for restaurants in evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 00:17